Sunday, December 1, 2019

Perfect Storm

Nasty weather the past few days with 50 mph winds yesterday afternoon. The adults dig out while the kids on Thanksgiving break enjoy themselves. A perfect storm with perfect timing for them.








For adults, not so much fun.





We should have a two to three day window of  decent weather until the next system rolls in.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?x=166&y=70&site=bou&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=166&map_y=70#.XeQYxNnN_bg


Wyoming was shut down for two days and is just now digging out. 

https://www.greeleytribune.com/news/major-interstates-reopen-in-colorado-wyoming-on-sunday/

Nebraska didn't escape. See Prairie Adventure.

http://prairieadventure.blogspot.com/2019/11/thisll-be-quick.html

The shuttle bus route I quit at the end of October was closed yesterday (CO 292, CO14, CO77). So glad I'm not out driving in this weather. I've been a licensed driver now for 61 years. There isn't many road conditions I haven't seen. Maybe Musk Oxen migrations is still on the list.

11 comments:

drjim said...

The neighborhood kids are out playing in it today. Good to see human activity returning to normal after this last storm.

I don't think the front coming in later this week will bring much rain or snow. I've been receiving the weather maps for the North Pacific area on my shortwave, and reading the "Forecast Discussion" page for our area. Good thing I know a bit of Meteorology, as the discussion page is loaded with obscure terms and technical jargon.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
May not be up to date on all the jargon but have a decent understanding of weather as a pilot.

drjim said...

Yeah, I seem to recall you've mentioned flying before.

You'd probably be able to decipher it, then.

And they have a "Pilot's WX" report at the bottom of the discussion, but it's like you'd read at the flight center while you were getting your Cessna ready to go.

PrairieAdventure said...

Man does that all look familiar...

Gonna be a long cold one I think.

LL said...

We were snowed in with road closures for two days in Arizona. And while I'm sort of dug out, there is more to be done tomorrow. Maybe if we'd paid more in taxes, Arizona would have been spared.

LSP said...

I remember weather like that from living in Calgary. Shoveling has a sell by date... be safe.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
Usually.

Prairie Adventure
The worst seemed to be North of I-80. Cousins in Casper are sitting it out except for a Flying J manager.

LL
Saw a news blurb the roads from Payson up to Camp Verde are now open but snowpacked.

LSP
Oh, yeah.

LL said...

Last year we had road closures as well. Anything over about 2' in one drop, results in problems here. The state highways (Hwy 87 and Hwy 260) in the area, are closed more often than the Interstates. In this last storm they closed I-17 and I-40, which backs up traffic into the next century and makes things really interesting. In the last year that I've lived here (almost a year now), they've all been shut down three times, for a day or two each time. The solution is to stay inside, stay warm and stay safe.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LL
On the bright side, keeps the riff-raff away. When I-80 is closed, parked big rigs stretch for miles.

Old NFO said...

50 years ago WE would have been out there... LOL

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
Thank you for being there.