Sunday, December 22, 2019

Community


We are never too old to learn and to share new experiences. This was brought home to me this morning when a favorite leather glove was pinned to the bulletin board. Seems I had dropped it in the parking lot and some resident found it. Another put it on the bulletin board. A small thing to be sure but it set me to thinking.

This 90 unit 62+ Senior Housing unit started filling up a year ago. Since then, we residents have become a community. For me, it has been an adjustment, having been a “lone wolf” for many, many years.

With an average age of 70+ residents, it is not surprising we lose one a month on the average. Aid cars parked in the Porte-cochere are a too common sight.  Walkers, wheelchairs, canes, and portable oxygen are just part of the ambiance.

Acquiring the dog has lead to many small changes in my life. He needs to go out four times a day, and I’m getting a lot of exercise as a result. The other changes are my interactions with other residents. The dog lovers all want to pet him. Many want to give him treats. The dog soaks it all up.

Many residents are dirt poor. I’m one a handful of residents who pay full rent. These people tend to be lonely and withdrawn. The way they open up and start smiling when they see Banner, the dog, is amazing. Going through the lobby and common areas, we must stop and let them pet him. It warms me to see their smiles and enjoyment. I’ve become far more social as I chat with those petting the dog. A good thing for me, I believe.

Like any community, clicks form. One group I call The Coven (and I call them this to their faces) gather for coffee in the common area which has a kitchen. One always has treats for the dog and the damned beast can’t wait to see her. A 65 lb Lab can pull mighty hard on a leash, I’m here to say. While he is being loved on, others in the group try to bust my balls with verbal skills honed over the years doing the same to husbands.

Gathered in the lobby is the click who doesn’t like The Coven. The lobby has a coffee bar. One of them always has treats for the dog.

Other residents don’t join either click but have dogs and we end up talking.

Around each of the holidays a potluck lunch is held and I usually find myself helping, that is to say, being bossed around by the ladies.

To date, I’ve avoided any “romantic” involvements. There is one resident who might change that as I am attracted. Mutual? Time will tell.

A Senior Housing situation wasn’t my first choice. I was content with the apartment I had until they didn’t fix my a/c for an entire summer then raised my rent $145 a month. I feel fortunate to have this place which will serve until I can execute COLOEXIT. The biggest regret is no carport or garage.

7 comments:

Brig said...

It appears that you & Banner are where you are most needed and meant to be. It's a good thing!

drjim said...

I'm sure the old "Car Peddler" in you can bust their balls right back!

So good to hear you're settled in there, and you and Banner have become part of the community.

I was a Lone Wolf for many years, too, but even us old dogs need some company as we age.

Coffeypot said...

A sweet dog can knock the gloomy out of anyone. You are doing a good thing, WSF. Not only are you evolving, but you are making others happy, too.

Old NFO said...

Sounds like the positives are outweighing the negatives. Be happy with that!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Brig
I think you are right.

drjim
Yes I enjoy sparring with the ladies.

CP
So it seems.

Old NFO
I am.

LL said...

I'm sorry that you don't have a car port there. What were the builders thinking?

However, I'll join with the others in suggesting that finding a 'home' where you are wanted, needed and loved might be better than making a COEXIT.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

You make a good point.