Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Failure


Went to Otis, CO (population 534) Monday on an assignment and failed to find the property. I can’t remember the last time that happened. Gad, I hate to fail!

The address was on Fourth Avenue. I ended up checking every house that had an address number (many didn’t) and every mailbox on the entire miserable Avenue from West to East.  Used both map programs on my tablet. Neither agreed with the other.  OK, went over the railroad tracks and checked all the streets on the South side. Finally said, “Fuck this!”

Otis is just one of many dying towns on the High Plains. Located on Highway 34 that runs from Estes Park, CO to Wray, CO, Otis is between two towns that are not dying, Yuma to the East and Akron to the West. That is not to say both are booming, but are stable. Beyond me why.

Akron is an interesting little town. It was started by the railroad solely because it is the highest point between Chicago and Denver. Well known to pilots, there is a nearby VOR and a 7,000’ runway. The hilltops are a jungle of communication towers.

The area was the scene of several significant battles during the late 1800’s Indian Wars. One needs to look but you can find some interesting geology in the area.

I like exploring the area in the spring but not when it is 10° with a 50 mph North wind.

Mostly I hate ending the year with a failure. Yes, I’m my harshest critic. In truth, other than my sister, I don’t give a rat’s ass for most people’s opinion.

13 comments:

drjim said...

Looks like an interesting area.

I've been trying to learn the geology and geography since we've moved here. Took me a while to figure out the "Palmer Divide", along with the "Dakota Hogback", along with the "Colorado Piedmont".

Well Seasoned Fool said...

The geography of the Rockies can best be described as "convoluted". Geologist have labeled most of it while locals have other, less complimentary, names.

LL said...

I don't look at it as an abject failure. I'm sure that there are tax/plot maps at the county seat. It simply justifies another outing.

Happy New Year, Frank. I hope that you, Banner and "the Coven" have a fun 2020.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LL
Those are all options. My hands are somewhat tied because of confidentiality restrictions. That ruled out City Hall, town cop, fire station, etc.

My client gave me faulty information. Before I go out there again they will pay for the trip.

It really comes down to an ego thing - I hate to fail for any reason.

Fredd said...

Why did you need to find this place, anyway Fool? Did the residents fail to pay the mafia, and they sent you to blow the place up? Or maybe just break some legs?

Not that it is any of my business...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Fredd
Close. Legally I'm a collection agent and must introduce myself as such. I "counsel" folks who are delinquent on their mortgages. Down the road someone else does the foreclosures. Not something I care for at my advanced years. Same reason I no longer do vehicle repossessions. Not up to the physical side of going hands on with fools.

Occasionally, I will undertake finding vehicle collateral and sitting on it until the tow truck arrives.

LSP said...

Happy New Year!

Old NFO said...

That's... odd... Best wishes for 2020 being a better year!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
The house number was odd. The town is set up with the odd numbers on the south side and even numbers on the north. the particular block with that series of numbers has no houses facing north. Most likely the address is a double lot but the house faces west and has a street, not avenue, address.

Due to confidentially requirements, had to be extremely discrete with inquiries. Frustrating.

Sisty said...

I don't know whether to be complimented or confused as to you valuing my opinion. We do like to keep each other in balance and check, don't we? I to value your opinion. I may not follow your advice but at least I listen to it.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Two hogs on ice comes to mind.

Fredd said...

Fool: so you are an over the hill leg breaker. A noble calling.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Fredd
Over the hill but still kicking ass.