Sunday, December 8, 2019

A Dog Life


 Amazes me, it does, how this dog has altered my life. His needs have completely changed my routine, for the better.

He doesn’t bark, ignores the comings and goings outside my apartment door, hasn’t had an “accident” and hasn’t chewed on anything other than his dog toy. We have had a strong discussion regarding the trash can. Much to my surprise, he hasn’t touched it since.

Being a Lab, he is always interested in food and comes to the kitchen even if I am just getting a cup of coffee. The old cliché, “No five second rule when you have a two second dog”, certainly applies.

Riding in the back seat of the car is no problem and he seems to be content even after two or three hours. The seat in the Mighty Max is a little on the small side for the two of us but he copes. It is a challenge shifting with his head on my right thigh.

In this building there is a group of women, divorced or widowed, who gather in the common area each morning for coffee and gossip. They are middle school “mean girls” grown old. In the lobby area is another group who don’t get along with the “mean girls”. Both groups like the dog so we run a gauntlet going and coming.

In passing, I should mention the “mean girls” enjoy busting my balls at every opportunity. I enjoy giving it right back at them. Happily, I’m not married to any of them.

Life has a way of keeping you humble. I replaced my autistic son’s cell phone with a smart phone. I sent him the picture atop this post. His response, “Dad, you don’t have any hair”.

He likes his kennel and will retire to it at the end of the day. Companion  dog?
“You’re on your own Bubba. I’m done for the day”.

12 comments:

Brig said...

I'm glad to see that you are enjoying each other. It is great that you got such a good pard.

Miss my Fergus that loved to travel. Willie has to be out on drugs to go any distance in the suv, working on that, not very successful I might add...

Old NFO said...

That's good news! Dogs truly ARE man's best friend.

Coffeypot said...

I cannot imagine life without a dog. I am glad you took to the training well and have become his best friend. You are a good wingman, too.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Brig
Some dogs hate traveling and never seem to change.

Old NFO
He is fun.

Coffeypot
Good that he has patience with me.

drjim said...

Agree 100% with the others.

Dogs give us so much, and yet really don't ask for that much in return.

I'm sure I'll get to meet Banner, and look forward to it!

LL said...

You're a goof team.

A dog's love is not a cliche.

LL said...

Good team. sorry for the typo

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LL
Goof works, and is accurate.

drjim
Banner is in your future.

LSP said...

What great news! Good dog. My Heeler loves food tooand comes into the kitchen whenever he hears the fridge open. Hmmmm. I tell him, "No, this has nothing to do with dogs." He's not convinced.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
The foraging instinct is strong!

DaveS said...

"Boys need dogs and dogs need boys". And it doesn't matter how old we get.
Congratulations on finding a good buddy!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Too true.