Monday, December 9, 2019

Hope


Our community is made better by volunteers and the programs they support. One is the Community Grief Center, the subject of a past blog.


Last night was a third annual fundraiser, “Lights of Hope”.


Cut out of the snow is the word “Hope”. The candles are being placed within the letters.

Around two hundred people came.

My sister is one of the board members so I was there in support of her along with being a donor and a beneficiary of the Center’s Programs after the death of my youngest son last March.

During a Veterans Day event I helped her man a booth.

How bleak would our communities be without volunteers supporting hundreds of programs and events?

My sister has been a board member of Salud for many years. From a clinic in a small Weld County town where migrant farm workers could receive basic care, it has grown into a dynamic organization.


It should be pointed out my sister has never, ever, received monetary compensation, other than expenses, for any of her volunteer work.

My respect for volunteers of all types is off the charts.

12 comments:

LL said...

Well done, WSF. Hope is often something that is in short supply.

These efforts outside of government is how the matter should be addressed. People doing the right thing to help their fellow travelers on the road of life works. Dumping millions in taxpayer dollars usually ends up in political power struggles with little actual relief reaching the people who need it - and sometimes those people are ourselves.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LL
Thank you.

drjim said...

Well done, sir.

Communities where people do things like this seem to be more "alive".

Brig said...

We all can do something, no matter how small, to make our communities a better place.

Thank your sis for what she does, and you as well.

DaveS said...

Volunteering is a fantastic way, not only to support your community, but to meet people and make connections - especially if you've just moved to a new community. For me, joining the Volunteer Fire Dept in my new locale was almost like being adopted into a new family. It's the Brotherhood of Fire - and the same everywhere in this fine country.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
I don't do enough. Mainly, just write a check.

Brig
It isn't just what my sister does, it is how good she is. Everyone loves her but the crooks. She has a keen nose for the fakers.

DaveS
Lets you new neighbors get a feel for you.

LSP said...

Respect for sure. I'm always struck by the work of our volunteers, well done!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Thank you.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Thank you.

Old NFO said...

VOlunteers are the lifeblood of our communities, especially those in the rural area. God bless both of you for stepping up.

Ami said...

I tell 'my' children all the time that every single one of us has the power to make at least one person's life better. We can choose to do that every day. I have to say that they're compassionate and kind a great deal of the time. I don't know if we were that way as kids, but they give me hope for the future.

We have a weekly meeting about many topics, everyone can talk, we all listen. They sometimes share an act of kindness they've done.

People like your sister are making a huge difference both in their own vicinity and in the thinking of others. Ripples in a pond, I guess. We can't all make big waves, but those ripples are important.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
She does far more than me.

Ami
Kindness and caring - make for a better world.