Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Christmas Memory


Out on a long walk with the dog, he was in need of a rest, so I took a seat on a big landscape rock and watched a neighborhood scene unfold. Two kids received a pedal go-cart for Christmas. They, along with Dad and Granddad were trying it out on the sidewalk. Mom and the family dog soon joined them. There was joy and happiness on display.

Nothing out of the ordinary. That scene is being played out coast to coast but it put a smile on my face and brought back a 35+ year memory of my youngest son and his “Big Wheel”.

We lived on a ¾ mile street with no side streets. That kid wore out two Big Wheels tearing up and down the street. In that more tolerant time, the neighbors enjoyed watching him go.

The dog needed a rest? That is my story and I’m sticking to it.

Merry Christmas to all you Christian readers, and the joy of the season to all. May your days be blessed.

10 comments:

drjim said...

Merry Christmas, my friend!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

And the same to you and yours.

LL said...

Banner's needs have to be taken into account. Merry Christmas.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Banner is Service(d) dog. I provide the service.

Old NFO said...

Merry Christmas to y'all!

Brig said...

My son had a big wheel, too. He loved that thing, insisting that it go with him when the Basque boys watched him in sheep camp (so I could help gather cattle). It was noisy and the Basque boys didn't care for it much. I think that's why they fed him sheep's eyeballs stew...

Thanks for resurrecting a fun memory. Merry Christmas to you!

Ami said...

I heard so many times over the years that Christmas is for the kids.
The older I get, the more I understand that.

I loved celebrating with my kids when they were little, and I miss those days.

I know there aren't words to describe how you're feeling this year with the loss of that youngest son, I hope the happy memories leave your heart full.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
And you and yours.

Brig
Whatever the Basque made was probably delicious. Some of the best "eating" in can remember.
Glad you enjoyed the memory, and I wish the the best Christmas.

Ami
I loved watching our kid's excitement.

I'm sure this Christmas is much harder for my DIL and grandkids.

Fredd said...

Big Wheels, had they made them with rubber tires instead of plastic ones, some of them might still be around. I always hated the sound of one of those plastic tires running over gravel, like fingernails on a chalkboard.

In my day (by crackee) the big things to get for Christmas were G.I. Joe dolls (before they became 'action figures'), Tiger Joe (a big toy tank), and Mighty Mo (a big cannon that shot bean bags). Rockem Sockem Robots was also a great present. And of course erector sets, chemistry sets, stuff that could cut you and poison/burn you, you know, the fun stuff.

Ah, those were the days, where nobody, and I mean NOBODY wore a helmet to ride a bike.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Yes, those plastic wheels were annoying.