Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Traditions


A fine article that captures the flavor of ranching, IMO, better than most things I’ve read.


The couple that own the ranch, Jim and Jo Stanko, are old friends. Jim was a year behind me in High School.

They are more than “ranchers”. Jim tried to join the military out of high school and was turned down. Instead, he attended Western State in Gunnison (which is even colder than Steamboat, but slightly warmer than Barrow, AK) where he met and married Jo. After both earned Masters in Education, they started their teaching careers.

Married, with a child, Jim was drafted! To say he was pissed was an understatement. The Army, in their infinite wisdom, sent this 5’4” 140 lb man to Artillery School in Ft. Sill to be a cannon cocker. After AIT, he was sent to Germany, where she was able to join him.

With the death of his father, he assumed running the ranch while she went to work for the school system, retiring as the Elementary School Principal.

Jim is very active in the Community. I’m missing some but he is Past Commander of the local American Legion, long term member of the Cemetery Board, the local library board, long term Democrat County Committeeman, author of several books about the local history, etc.

Jo, in addition to her work in education, is past President of the Colorado Cattlewomen Association.

In short, they are the people that are the backbone of this country. I am proud they consider me a friend.

9 comments:

drjim said...

Great story and pictures. Growing up, I knew many farmers and "farm kids", but was only exposed to ranching the summer I spent with my cousins in Twin Falls, ID. They raised Appaloosa horses, and I learned a bit (and earned my keep) by helping my 2nd cousin with his chores. Feeding, grooming, and slopping out stalls was the order of the day, stopping only for lunch, an occasional snack (we were kids), or if The Boss (Mom....) pulled us to help with another task.

It was hard work, and I'm sure cattle ranching is it's own type of hard work. Thank God we have the farmers and ranchers to keep us fed!

Old NFO said...

Nice article and things sure have changed since the mid-60s!!! :-)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

DrJim
It is a hard but rewarding life.

OldNFO
Cold branding and rubber band castration are the biggest changes. A great labor saving device is the squeeze chute. Roping , hand wrestling, and holding down a terrified calf is damn hard work.

drjim said...

I wondered what that contraption they had the calf in was called. I thought it was an excellent device, and probably made it easier and safer than the old ways.

"Cold Branding" was new to me, as is the rubber band thing.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

DrJim
You want to turn the bull calves into steers. Old days, knife. Not as easy as it sounds, nor ver quick. Various tools stretch a rubber band, slips over the scrotum, and cuts off circulation. In a few days the scrotum and testicles fall off. Much less stress on the animal.

The squeeze chute keeps everyone safe. Wish we had one when I was a kid. I've never cold branded, not used electric branding irons. When I was doing it (as a helper) we had the irons in a fire keeping them glowing red.

Progress is wonderful, but the dirt and work is much the same. It is one long day!

drjim said...

You still work sun-up to sun-down, but the progress has enabled you to process more cattle in that amount of time.

I'm not sure I could have done that work in my prime!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

DrJim
It is also a social activity after being cooped up all winter. Neighbor helping neighbor, family helping family. During the 10 years my Dad worked for the D&RG Railroad, we still made a trip every Spring to my maternal grandparent's ranch outside Saratoga. WY for branding.

LSP said...

Branding... hmmm. I see a political application.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Once a common practice (Jamestown colony) to mark and punish criminals, branding foreheads of politicians might be worthwhile. Not so with criminals who voluntarily get it done in tattoo shops.