Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Salud



Yesterday I had my routine medical exam three months late due to COVID-9. Seems I will live awhile longer.

The doctor I see is young but is sharp. Along with the list of current medications, I bring five or six pages of notes and questions. He appreciates my organization and, because he listens to me, I listen to him. In our fifteen minutes together a lot is accomplished. I spend upwards of two hours preparing for those fifteen minutes.

The visit resulted in a minor tweak to prescriptions and a five day steroid regime. He detected a sinus infection. So, I’m good to go for another six months.

I’ve been using Salud for years even though the location isn’t convenient. There are two principal reasons. One, I’m satisfied with the care. Two, my sister has devoted decades of volunteer time to building the organization from a rented building In Gilcrest, CO to a major health provider. She has been a board member for years and the current chair.

 The challenges of the Chinese flu have taxed all of the members. They have persevered. My admiration is boundless.


I should add my sister doesn’t do it for the money. All she receives are the occasional expenses. She pays for her personal care just like any other patient.

The organization is large enough the staff that deals with me doesn’t get the connection with my sister. I receive the same care as anyone else coming through the door, excellent and professional.

For all our complaints about wasteful  and unneeded government programs, we need to recognize many do work because of the integrity and dedication of the people involved in making them work.

Bravo, Salud!

11 comments:

Sisty said...

Thanks for the shout out. The clinic started in Ft. Lupton, WSF. Salud and community health centers are a passion of mine and I will continue to work for their mission as long as there is breath in my body. Glad to know that they don't want to see you for awhile.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

"Glad to know that they don't want to see you for awhile."

Because I'm healthy, or your concern for the staff?

Sisty said...

Both

drjim said...

Hey you two....knock it off!

Big thanks to Sisty for being so involved in our community, for the benefit of all.

I've driven past the Salud Center here on Laporte Ave many, many times.

WSF...I do the same with my Doctor. Make a list of things that are bugging me, or I have questions about, and we discuss them when I have my six-month "wellness" exam with her. The last time I saw her was right before this virus insanity broke out, and it was about my hip.

It'll be nice to see here again when things settle down.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Sisty
Just checking.

DrJim
I'm her favorite brother.

Sisty said...

DrJim
He's my only brudder

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Got my lab results yesterday. Doctor wants me to reduce another prescription and probably drop it in another three months.

drjim said...

Losing weight and exercising will do that!

I've had one med cut in half, and another one eliminated since we moved here.

Losing 60 pounds helped a bit, too....

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I seem to be stuck around 255 lbs right now. A little over halfway to my goal. Based on past patterns, should start losing more in a month.

drjim said...

Yeah, I put on about 15 pounds over this covad BS. Got rid of most of it, but still have about 7 more to get rid of...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I'm sticking to the food plan. So long as I'm not gaining I call it a win.