Sunday, June 7, 2020

Provoked a Memory


Saw this for sale on Facebook Market place, $15. Not something I want now, but it provoked many memories.

When I was a kid working the hay fields, these were the “Igloo” of the day and I’ve drained many of them, canvas taste and all, and been grateful I could. Their greatest virtue is durability and no breakage.

Back when I was 6-9 years old, my parents and maternal grandparents took several trips to New Mexico and Arizona while my uncle ran my grandparent’s ranch. We traveled in a 1951 Ford, and two water bags were always hung on the front bumper guards. The evaporation at the bat out of hell speeds my father drove insured the water was cold when we stopped.

Once, a water bag slipped, and the bottom was worn away on the road. That created a family joke/legend that persisted for years.

The last time I walked around a farm supply/hardware store they had them in stock.

9 comments:

drjim said...

I've never used one, but seen plenty of them.

They're very popular with the car guys that like to cruise Old Rte 66.

LL said...

OSCAR MIKE GOLF! I haven't seen one of those for years. We had one or two as well, and we put them on the front of the car to keep them cool too.

Neat memories.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

DrJim
Authentic, I suppose.

LL
The effete poured from them to a glass. He men drank from the opening and usually spilled on their shirt. Hormone driven teen boys hoped the teen girls would spill on their blouses rendering said blouses transparent.

Life was simpler then.

LSP said...

New to me but what a neat post. Canvas water bags and evaporative cooling. Useful, perhaps.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Check your local farm store. Bet they will have them.

Old NFO said...

They worked then, and still do now. I remember my grandfather always having one in the car.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

OldNFO
Farmers around here still use them. You can hang them in many places.

Sisty said...

I always looked forward to having a drink out of ours when we were going to and from AZ and the grandparents house.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Our Dad was of the opinion, if something works, keep doing it. Probably the only reason he didn't use one on his Tornado was no place to hang it.