Friday, March 13, 2020

WSF, Song Writer


Back a few years, one of my sons challenged me to write a “blues” song. Recently, cleaning out stuff on the computer, I came across it.
Soldier Blue
Woke up this morning
   my bunk out in the sleet.
Snored so loud last night
   no one could get to sleep.

Went to the barracks door
   and no one would let me in.
Cold and wet and shaking
   that’s how my day began.

Yeah I got them soldier blues,
   I was drafted off the street.
From beer and women and cars
   to wearing out my feet.

Someday I’ll lose the blues
   when I get home for good.
I’ll whip ol’ Jody’s ass
   And start living like I should.

Yes, I know – don’t quit my day job.

My music ability is nill and I learned that at an early age. Christmas pageant, 2nd grade in the choir, I was singing my little heart out. Suddenly, I was a Sheppard.

8 comments:

LL said...

I'm sure that you made a splendid shepherd, WSF.

If you sing, does Banner howl along to accompany you?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Don't know - haven't tried singing around him.

Coffeypot said...

I can hear the bass and BB King playing in the background... perhaps you have a new rod to travel now in the guise of song writing. You moving to New Orleans or Nashville?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

CP
LOL

Greybeard said...

Actually, I'm impressed. Given the right music, and say, BB King doing his best lament, this could have been a hit!
But the young set today would not understand the trauma of being drafted.
Save it for the next era of conscription.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Greybeard
Thank you!

Old NFO said...

Banner could do harmony... LOL

Well Seasoned Fool said...

We will never know.