Saturday, March 28, 2020

Rambling Thoughts


Good News
Always up for a bit of good news.  Gas price war! It seems to be just in our little city as prices are higher in surrounding areas and much higher in Cheyenne.

Not Good News
On the darker side, Weld County, where I live, is the 20th largest oil and natural gas producer in the USA. Between the climate change idiots led by our (P)regressive governor, and the world wide turmoil in the energy market, we may see some serious employment problems soon.
This will probably mean an uptick in my delivery of mortgage dunning letters. I like the money but don’t relish the pain of my neighbors.

People Coping?
I needed to pick up my Metforman prescription. Two drive up lanes at the drug store had six or more vehicles in line. Parked, went inside, and was the only customer at the inside counter. The store had tape laid down on the floor six feet apart in all aisles. Social distancing?

Noticeable Impact
The stay at home order by the Governor seems to have cut down on traffic. My work is considered “essential” financial activity so I’m not affected. I do make sure I have my work briefcase with me at all times.

My middle son works in a factory that makes medical equipment components so he hasn’t missed work. His employer gave all employees a “note” to show police.

My oldest son, a 49 years old high functioning autistic man, lives in Seattle. He is having a difficult time with the isolation. I recently got him a better smart phone that he uses to email me, frequently. You never stop being a parent.
Out My Front Door
 So far our 90 unit senior building has been spared. The daily routines have been drastically altered and those individuals who thrive on pissing and moaning about everything are enjoying themselves.

                                                       Preparation
From my three years as a medical courier I have an ample supply of hand sanitizer. I’ve gone back to the routines I used on that job, and wear cotton gloves. I have some twelve pairs of cheap brown cotton gloves (a year ago Harbor Freight had a special). Each evening the day’s gloves go into the wash.

Dog Life

We are now closing in on five months together, Banner the dog and myself. He does chase away any tedium in my life. We start each morning with a five to ten minute wrestling session which always puts a smile on my face. Then it is the walk around the building while he takes care of dog business. Next stop is the commons room to meet up with the “treat” lady (she who is the leader of the Coven). After that, it is on to the elevator, our hall, and then the apartment and breakfast! After that I’m allowed my first cup of coffee for the day.

Do we ever change from our “raising”? I was raised to take care of the livestock before I took care of myself.

Our ongoing adventure involves his interaction with the other residents. This is a 90 unit building of 65+ seniors. Most are very poor and receive subsidized rent. I’m one of maybe twelve who pay “full sticker”. Many are sick – lots of wheelchairs and walkers are seen. Many are withdrawn and profoundly depressed. Along comes Banner and you see smiles. He gets petted, a lot. Even a hardened cynic like me finds it uplifting. My sister calls him a therapy dog, and says I’m the one who gets the most therapy. She may be correct.

Because of him I interact with the other residents much more than I did before I got him.

It isn’t all smooth sailing. Most of the dogs in the building are yappy little ankle biters, and most don’t like him. He is such a wuss – hides behind me as they yap at him.

He rarely barks, doesn’t chew on anything in the apartment, and has never had an “accident”. He does snore!

Weather permitting I take a mile walk each day with him. The walk is for my benefit as I continue to drop 5-10 pounds a month. Two to three times a week I take him to the dog park. He knows the route and starts getting excited when he sees the direction we are going.

He came from a house with two other dogs that kept attacking him. The family decided he was easier to adopt than the other two dogs. She had him for seven years, from the time he was a pup, and I’m sure giving him up was difficult. We exchange emails about once a month.

I tell others I feel I’ve won the dog lottery.

Life’s Shit Sandwiches
A friend is going through a family shit storm. One sister is in a hospice with Stage 4 cancer. Her alcoholic brother is soon to be in the hospital. Suffering from dementia, among other problems, he is rapidly losing weight. The weight of dealing with the VA, the insurance companies, etc. falls on her. She is a strong woman with her own serious health issues. Another sister refuses to become involved with anything involving her siblings.

 From me she gets hugs (forget social distancing), and an ear when she needs one.

We all know life isn’t fair, don’t we?



Tis a Privilege To Live in Colorado
On clear mornings I see this as I take the dog out for his dog business. Never fails to raise my spirits.

11 comments:

drjim said...

I feel a great joy that you and Banner have found each other. I grew up with dogs, but never "lived" with them. I didn't do that until I met Sweet Little Wife and her two dogs.

Now I can't see life without a dog or two in it. They just bring so much to the table.....

From where you live, I'm guessing that's Longs Peak in Estes Park.

And as much as I enjoyed living near the ocean, the mountains have a majesty of their own. Eternal, like the sea, and a reminder of how insignificant we are...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

You are right, that is Longs Peak and Mt. Meeker just SW of Estes Park. Stretching to the right (North) are the Never Summers which form the east side of North Park.

Brig said...

It's a blessing that dogs & other animals seem to come into our lives when needed, even when we don't realize it. Each of my dogs has brought something to my life.
I worked in a retirement community for a few years, as activities director, and those crossed arms in the picture are a sign... just say'n.
Happy to know you are happy where you are, and are enriching the lives of others.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Brig
None of it was planned, or even thought about. Fate, in this case, was kind.

Old NFO said...

Yep, dogs are a blessing, especially as we age, and they do give more than they receive. Prayers for that other family. Times are hard, and dysfunction within the family only make it worse.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

OldNFO
Spent too many years on the road to give a dog a decent life. Now I'm "retired" I'm playing catch up and enjoying it!

commoncents said...

Tucker Carlson Insists Biden Will NOT Be The Nominee, Democratic Panic And Chaos Is Coming

https://commoncts.blogspot.com/2020/03/tucker-carlson-insists-biden-will-not.html

ps. would you please add CC to your blogroll?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

CC
Limited computer skills here.

Greybeard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greybeard said...

Agree with Commoncents, and I'm reminded of "life following Art"...
If you're not a fan of "House of Cards", it's worthwhile to watch and see how Claire Underwood becomes the party's nominee.
I think we WILL see a brokered convention, and that's good.
It will tear 'em apart.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
It may be the last Presidential election I vote in (I will 76) . I cannot fathom any circumstance that would make me cast a vote for a Democrat.