Wednesday, March 18, 2020

100% Revolver


There are as many opinions on the “best” handgun as there are owners. To each his own, say I.

When selecting a handgun for my personal defense, I took a hard look at my capabilities and most likely scenarios that I would employ one in self defense.

Reality. I’m 75, with macular degeneration in my right eye. While right handed, I’ve become left eye dominant. My hand strength has diminished and my fine motor skills have deteriorated.

The most likely scenarios where I will need a handgun are twofold. First, I spend a fair amount of time in the boonies with large wildlife encounters a possibility. Along with that, in open range country, meeting a domestic bull is a possibility.

Second, self defense against humans. I’m well past the age of charging to the sound of gunfire, and firefights. More likely, I face being mugged; car jacked, or face a home invasion. Those encounters will be intense but short lived. The stress level will be high and I don’t want to be fooling with magazines, safeties, etc. With the Bulldog it is only necessary to pull the bang switch.

For many years I’ve carried a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special. Many, many boxes of shells have gone down range from that revolver. I have had zero, repeat zero, times when I pulled the trigger and it didn’t go, “bang”. Even with some rounds that were weak a bullet still left the barrel.  I’ve had a gunsmith add a rear peep sight to somewhat compensate for the macular degeneration. The trigger pull has been lightened.

When I practice my goal is all five rounds into a kill zone at 20’. That I can still accomplish.

For backup, and last resort, I have a North American Arms 5 shot .22 Mag. Currently on loan to a family member.

In the past I’ve owned semi autos. A Star 9mm Browning copy, a Walther PPK .380, and a military surplus 1911. I’m just not a big handgun guy. Long arms?  Much different story. I grew up in a subsistence hunting home, shot competitively growing up (NRA Jr Rifleman) and spent far more money at the Rod and Gun Club than bars while in the Army.

As an aside, I despise  M-14s. Give me an M-1, even a shot to shit basic training issue, anytime.

You have a different opinion? Bless you! We all have our own road to travel. I will suggest you spend time analyzing your own individual abilities and likely needs.

7 comments:

drjim said...

It's always best to use what you can shoot well, end of story.

I prefer a 1911, but that may change as I get older. I don't have any problems running the gun, and have trained extensively with it.

My wife can rack the slide OK, and she shoots it very well, but she has all kinds of difficulty loading the magazines, so I got her a revolver, a large frame S&W in 357, and she shoots it very well. I've even tried "tricking" her by slipping a few full-load rounds in with the 38spl she normally shoots. All she did was laugh and say she hadn't expected that big a BOOM when it went off.

I always wanted an M-14 because to me, it was a Garand with a detachable magazine, and I love my Garand. If I had to grab a long gun for house defense, I'd grab my shotgun first, my Marlin 1894 in 357 second, and my Marlin 336 in 30-30 next.

Why those when an AR or the Garand are available? Because I've shot them much more, know them very well, can run 'em and feed 'em in my sleep, and can nail anything I see at 100yds with the 357, and well beyond that with the 30-30.

LL said...

For revolvers, I have gone with the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Cassul. Some people feel that five shots are not enough or that the recoil is too great for that short barrel large frame revolver, but as with you, I carry what I chose to carry. Alternately the Kimber 1911 in .45 ACP and the Glock 21 are excellent large frame semi auto choices. Some people have other preferences and sometimes I do too, but it's all to taste and you carry the right tool for the right mission.

You also have an attack dog to back your play...unless they offer him a treat.

Fredd said...

I'm in complete agreement on a revolver. No bolts to pull back, no safeties, none of that. Just point it at the dirt bag and pull the trigger (assuming the unit is double action).

100% with you, Fool.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

DrJim
My youth was spent with a Model 94 .30-.30. Early issue M-14s (1960's) overheated and jammed, frequently. The stocks were weak in the area of the pistol grip and would break if dropped. I never liked the balance.

LL
Treats! Need to factor that into self defense scenarios. I've shot .44 mags and wasn't bothered by the recoil. It is all in how you hold your wrist, IMO.

Fredd
We agree on something!!!!!!

LSP said...

Good call, but LL makes a good point, "treats"... my Blue seems to think he deserves them at every evolution. Huh.

For pistols, I've gone down the .45 route (Berretta/Glock but I'd buy Kimber, Dan Wesson custom etc given a wealthy MINING sponsor). And I love wheel guns.

Shoot on and don't fear the reaper.

Old NFO said...

Colt Cobra... Good enough...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
We all meet the reaper.

OldNFO
Nothing against Colt - just out of my (cheap) price comfort zone.