Thursday, March 12, 2020

Well Shucky Darn

 Past trips in the Nebraska Panhandle have been time driven and places I would like to visit were passed by. Yesterday my business in the area was handled when I wanted.

Chimney Rock was a major landmark along the Oregon Trail. My visit? See photo.


Oh well, dropped down to Bridgeport and then west on Hwy 88 to visit Courthouse and Jail Rocks.



Yep, the road up to them is closed.

Strange day in terms of wildlife, as in none except for a one coyote at a dead run. Dropping down Hwy 85 from Cheyenne I did see a few Pronghorn a few miles into Colorado.

My business was contacting an individual far behind on his mortgage. Cute, he had a wrong address painted on his mailbox. Called up overhead pictures on Google and MapQuest, matched with what I was seeing, and knocked on the door. He was not pleased to see me. Big surprise, there! Concluded my business and left with him holding the documents I was paid to deliver.

If there is a typical call in my biz, this was it. Large brick home, attached two car garage plus outbuildings showing neglect. Unkempt yard, broken window in the garage, torn screen and what appeared to be one garage door off tracks. In the driveway were a newish Dodge Megacab 4x4 and two year old GMC Yukon.

As a man who has always tried to live below his means, I have no sympathy for people who make these economic decisions.

11 comments:

drjim said...

Saw plenty of that in SoCal. People were barely making it paycheck-to-paycheck. Big McMansion, three high-end leased cars in front, a boat, motorcycle, or other power toy, all financed by seconds and thirds when the property values went way up, and they used their house like an ATM.

And then the bubble popped.....

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
Fools and the money. Of course, they are entitled to be bailed out. Just ask them.

Old NFO said...

Oh the EXPECT to be bailed out... By us... Sigh

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Of course.

LSP said...

NFO, I applaud your seriousness and hope you're armed when you make those calls. Not that you have any guns, given boating accidents and all.

There seems to be a fine line between pity/compassion and reality/justice. Perhaps they're one and the same line? But forgive me, not a moral theologian!

LSP said...

For "NFO" read "WSF"...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Attitude is everything. I strive to be civil and impersonal. I run into hot heads frequently and try to never show fear or nervousness. Even at 75 I'm not fearful but keeping the temper under control is sometimes a challenge. At the very end I'm a 6' 260 lb dirty white boy (a very dirty white boy). Firearms complicate things.

LL said...

I'm sure that the donkeys will bail him out.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

With your money.

glasslass said...

Been in the mtg. business for mega years. Used to work for Fannie Mae doing first payment defaults. The stories, the crying,the screaming and then the pleading and sometime problems that made my heart cry for them. Only one I ever pulled from the foreclosure pile was a cancer victim. Diagnosed only days after closing with limited insurance. He sent the required paperwork and they worked with him so he could keep the home.That had a happy ending but most don't.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

glasslass
I have compassion for those facing life challenges. For damn fools, not so much. What I deliver are options. The options may not be comfortable. The next visit may well be a police officer with an eviction notice.