Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Chinese Flu



Improvising
Several sources make a point about the limited number of respirators available for pneumonia cases. My medical knowledge barely extends beyond first aid so this may be a silly question. Can a CPAP be pressed into service? There are many in the hands of citizens. I alone have five, and am willing to donate some if they can be of use.
Kind Gesture
Walking to my car from the Safeway store this morning a woman passed me with a rather full cart.
“Do you need any paper towels,” she asked me. “I bought the last ones and will give you one if you need it”.

What a kind gesture! After thanking her, I explained I have enough on hand at home.

Health Impact Beyond Chinese Flu

Routine medical procedures are being postponed/cancelled. A neighbor was scheduled to have eye surgery Thursday. That has been cancelled. The number of postponements will probably run into the millions.
Paper Towels
Have a case of blue paper towels from the Auto Parts Store in my trunk. Might be an alternative source for you who need paper towels.

Plumbing
My sister does insurance adjusting for our city. She had an interesting discussion with a couple of city officials about what will happen as people start flushing paper products that don’t decompose.

Interesting Times

As I put as a comment on a blog, the Chinese have given the whole world an “Interesting Times” curse. Who knows what unforeseen challenges lay ahead?

Am I the only one who sees similarities between our current situation and the aftermath of 9/11?

                                                                  Addendum

Heard the Dutch have closed the Amsterdam Red Light District!

7 comments:

drjim said...

I hadn't thought of it in "9/11" terms, but you're right. Thia will have far ranging implications for years.

LL said...

There are similarities to 9/11, and they seem to be gloating.

Brothels in Italy and Greece are also closed. The most shocking development is that the French red light districts are also shuttered. A crisis of Biblical proportions for the French.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

DRJim
Hopefully for the better.

LL
Oh, the humanity!

Old NFO said...

Yep, interesting things to come... or go... as the circumstances may dictate.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

We probably won't be bored.

Brig said...

I gave blood on Monday, and one of the phlebotomist's told me that all the local hospitals have cancelled all surgeries except emergency surgeries.

Still no TP, or hand sanitizer, or bread on the local shelves.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Brig
Same story here. We have a populations of 300,000 in this county with a dozen casaes confirmed and two deaths.

The ones suffering now are truck drivers. Restaurants and rest stopped closed and you don't take an 18 wheeler through a drive thru.