Friday, September 13, 2019

Western Washington State Fair


Puyallup, WA, a favorite of my kids growing up. My oldest, a high functioning autistic man, lives in Seattle. “Doing the Puyallup” is something he looks forward all year.


Two days ago he got himself there on public transportation, once again.

When my two youngest were young teeners, they treasured “wrist band” day when they could ride nearly all rides all afternoon/evening as much as they wanted. I would take that day off. My one rule was they had to meet me at a designated spot every hour. They would each get $20 for snacks.

While they hit the rides, I would hit the food stands and exhibits. A hamburger covered with Walla Walla sweet onions was first on the list.

As a car salesman I loathed car shows and fairs. Very hard to sell anything there and the dealership damn well wasn’t paying for my time. The conversation with management usually went like this.

   “Tank, here is your floor times at the Puyallup”.

   “Fuck that, I’m not going. You want someone there to glad hand the  
   public?  Hire some hard bellied young women”.

After the ensuing shit storm ended, I usually agreed to pull one, and only one, shift and not on the weekend.

One year there was a bungee jump from a very tall crane. Some of the salesmen who truly disliked me (never understood why – I’m such a nice guy) made the mistake of baiting me about going on the bungee jump. Ah, a chance to make some money! After hustling them for awhile and getting the cash into a reliable third party’s hand, I did it. No big deal to me but I wouldn’t pay my own money to do it.

I usually try to take in one county fair each year and prefer the smaller ones. The 4-H and FFA kids work so hard and I can appreciate their efforts. Always in the back of my mind is my mother getting a Union Pacific scholarship to attend the University of Wyoming from sheep she raised. No snowflakes at these shows.

8 comments:

drjim said...

The family across the road from the in-laws 'ranch' off Owl Canyon raise pigs, sheep, and goats for 4H. We've met them several times, and they had the kids parade the animals for us. I had a lot of 4H and FFA friends growing up, but I had no idea these organizations provide such a depth of training to the kids!

*EVERYTHING* they need to know to run a successful farm or ranch is available, FOR FREE from 4H and FFA.

You can't beat that with a stick......

And while the elite may turn up their noses over such "quaint" and "archaic" organizations, these fine folks calmly go about the business of training the next generation, and instilling knowledge, tradition, and ethics.

I get such a joyous feeling going to the fairs and other events out here seeing young people and their families enjoying and continuing these traditions.

And we even got to see the outgoing Larimer County Rodeo Queen when we were at the fair!

Can't explain it, but stuff like this just makes me smile.....

LL said...

I always avoided the midway in events like that but I did like the bumper cars.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
A valuable way of life.

LL
And miss flirting with the females?

Old NFO said...

Good memories. 4-H shows, the fun on the midway, and eating crap that your mother would NEVER have let you eat otherwise... LOL

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
Some years I let them bring friends. When we left they would all be asleep in ten minutes.

Ami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ami said...

Funny, when I was a kid, I thought 'fair' meant rides.
As an adult, I like the 4-H animals and quilt exhibits much more.

When I took the kids from work this summer, they wanted rides but we're not allowed to take them on rides due to insurance regulations. They did enjoy the animal exhibits and the ice cream, though. :)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Ami
My oldest likes the exhibits. The two younger were all about the rides.

I admire your ability to take large groups of kids on an adventure. Me? I would rather herd cats.