Saturday, September 28, 2019

Oh Boy, Big Boy


Friday morning, Harriman, WY UP 4014 made a scheduled 15 minute stop. DRJIM http://every-blade-of-grass.blogspot.com    and I were there to see it.

SNAFU, instead of taking a few test shots with the camera, I was flapping my gums. By the time I got the camera going I missed the arrival.

A decent crowd was on hand, fifty or so folks of all ages but tending toward “senior” status. Again, no litter was left as the spectators departed. On the several occasions I’ve watched 4014, I’ve never seen any trash left by spectators.

The road to Harriman has a few challenging places.




A hint of the fall colors to come was showing in a few places.




The pronghorns didn’t pay attention to the passing traffic but were not pleased when I stopped.

All in all, a great morning.

The Big Boy will be touring well into November and there will be many places to see arguably the largest steam engine in the world.



8 comments:

Fredd said...

I had the opportunity to see Big Boy pull into the station in West Chicago, IL. That's about a 45 minute drive for me, and I passed on the opportunity.

That was maybe 6 weeks ago or so, maybe my last opportunity, and it's got me second guessing....

drjim said...

I blew it on the video of 4014 arriving. I have video of it stopped, "Blowing Off Steam", blowing the whistle (LOUD!!), sitting there, and then pulling away.

Instead of trying to edit it all, I'm just going to upload all of them to YouTube, and let 'er rip!

I totally missed the pronghorns. Were they on the way in, or on the way out?

I looked at the map in the car, and decided to continue North to catch I-80 about 20 miles West of Cheyenne, then back down the I-25 to home.

I really want to go see the Ames Monument, and now that I "know" a few of the roads in the area, I'm gonna go!

Not sure if SLW will go with me, but it's one of those things I feel the need to see.

Thanks for hooking up to go see 4014, and leading the way to the crossing.

The two "Old Guys" we met were a hoot. Good to see a lot of like-minded folks live here. Makes me feel even more At Home.....

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
Pronghorns were just South of 37 and 287 on my way back.
No need to thank me - enjoyed the company. Yeah, those two were enjoyable. My "Recall Polis" sticker gets folks talking.

Fredd
It is coming your way again.

Ami said...

Makes me miss the little guy my son was, he knew so much about trains and planes and cars. I learned a little from him, but I don't think I've kept any of that knowledge. Pronghorns... those I know about. :)

Brig said...

How very cool that you guys got to see it.

LL said...

It is a very big boy. Thanks for the post.

I drove though the city of Pine, Arizona today. The hunters had pushed on the order of 1,000+ elk into town (where they can't be shot at). I spoke to locals who said that the elk will remain until elk season ends. And because the elk don't care, they just take over the city.

Colorado pronghorns don't really care either, but they're more polite about it.

Old NFO said...

Great pics! And the prongs aren't bothered by MOVING cars, but stop and they haul ass... ;-)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Ami
My knowledge is fairly superficial.

Brig
Try to see it every chance. It will e coming back through my town next month.

LL
My Dad always held elk to be the smartest animal we hunted.

OldNFO
One of the few survivors of the last Ice Age.