Sunday, September 15, 2019

Old Grouch Rant


Out and about today, I passed our towns only Popeye Chicken emporium, recently opened, and stopped on impulse. I like their chicken, but not their sides. Used the drive thru and the problem began. I wanted four pieces of chicken only, no sides, and no drinks. The order taker was flustered and directed me to the window.

At the window I ended up talking to three different young ladies. Clearly, what I wanted wasn’t on their touch screen.

“OK, I said, “Give me a four piece combo and don’t bring any sides”.

This brought stares from the three gathered around the touch screen, then stares at the screen, and then stares at each other. I don’t know what they decided as I put the car in drive and left.

At my advanced age, I won’t put up with poorly trained employees who won’t take initiative.

As a supervisor I never berated an employee who took initiative and made a mistake. It was my fault for not training them properly. To those whom I reported, I took the blame.

Something I took away from my military service, “Loyalty Up, Loyalty Down.

My conversation with the employee usually went along these lines.

“You had a tough situation that you weren’t trained to handle, but you did your best and I appreciate your initiative. If the situation occurs again, what I would like for you to do is ………….”.

If you are a supervisor who won’t take the blame for a subordinates’ error, you don’t deserve to be a supervisor. You certainly don’t deserve any credit for their wins.

Addendum: What I'm having for supper.


12 comments:

drjim said...

Oh, man.........

I've only been a "Supervisor" a few times, and I've never been in the military, but I treated the guys (and gals) under me exactly the same way you did.

And twice, I dragged the company owner off to the side when he was berating an employee in front of the customer, something I will not tolerate.

The second time he did it, we had a Come To Jesus moment when I told him if he EVER did that again in front of me I'd quit on the spot, in front of the customer, and he'd never get a decent Technician to work for him again, as I'd spread the word to avoid that company like the plague.

We haven't run across brain-dead employees in fast food places.....yet. They've all seemed to be bright young people who do their jobs efficiently and courteously.

But the day we do, we'll walk out of the place, and most likely never return.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
I understand young people in their first jobs may be slow but if they show willing I give them a break. We all started somewhere. Attitude is crucial.

Ami said...

Oh that's not grouchy. You just drove away.
My husband SAYS things. He isn't terribly nice about dealing with
stupid/incompetent/untrained people.
HE'S a grouch!

Also, what the hell did you have for dinner? It looks like barbecue sauce and some slices of cheddar...

LL said...

I don't know what fare you settled on, but I believe that you might have been better off with the chicken (no sides).

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Ami/LL

Baked flank steak and a side of sweet potatoes. The flank steak was tenderized, covered with sauce, and baked 20 minutes at 425°. Potatoes were from a big batch stored in the refrigerator. Nuked for 2 minutes with a gob of real butter.

Should have taken the after picture.

Brig said...

Getting orders right and making change seems to be a lost art form, especially in the fast food business.

My last retail job, had me often in trouble with the boss's (now x) wife for taking initiative in making sales...

Baked flank steak sounds heavenly.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Brig
Ranch raised drills initiative and responsibility into your soul.

Old NFO said...

We all have those days... sigh... Which is why I refuse to go through the drive through. That way I get my food and CHECK it before I ever leave.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
My usual method, just not this time.

Fredd said...

Fool: that's one way of handling things - conflict, confrontation, etc. I no longer try to change things that I cannot change, life's too dang short. I go with the flow, and in the fast food area, I NEVER order something that is not on the touch screen. EVER. All you will get is what you got - which is nothing. If I want to go to Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen, I understand before I even get there that there are absolutely no Rhodes Scholars on the payroll there. And it is also a high probability that other than maybe a rare manager, even the manager is likely to be a high school drop out. Accordingly, there is no reason to believe that any problem solving capability is present, none whatsoever. Don't even try to order something that takes a brain. Order only no-brain things from a fast food franchise, as doing otherwise ends in frustration and failure.

Accordingly, if I want some Popeye's chicken, I will order the #1. Or the #2. They almost never botch that. Do I pay for the crappy sides? Yup, the cost of doing business with them.

But their chicken is really good.

Momma Fargo said...

That does not look like chicken and there is something orange as a side. I love their boneless wings in spicy sauces and I love their mashed potatoes with green chili. So good!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Fredd
The other in our area at Exit 240/I-25 does offer just chicken. Otherwise, I agree with you. One reason I seldom visit a fast food place.

MF
Orange stuff is sweet potatoes. I make some ahead and keep in the frig to be nuked. The other is steak.

I buy the cheap (tough) cuts. Aluminum foil, marinade, and slow cooked in a 170° oven for two hours or longer. The meat is usually tender. When I want "pink" I suck it up and visit a steak house.