Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Old Truck



Driving the medical courier route I occasionally see survivors like this old Willys pickup. Not sure of the year but guessing 1953-1954. I didn’t open the hood to see what engine it has but the rear window isn’t large and the turn signals are not O.E.M.

Prior to about 1956 small trucks weren’t required to have turn signals. I once owned a 1955 I.H. that didn’t have turn signals. Somewhere around 1955 Willys put in a much larger rear window.

Note it has cowl mounts for windshield wipers (missing) but has one, probably hand operated, wiper mount above the windshield on the drivers side.

A great uncle owned one and the summer I turned eleven I worked for him mowing hay. I drove his Willys out to the tractor with 5 gallon cans of gas and sharpened sickle bars. Regrettably, he decided I was strong enough to buck bales which ended my driving the Willys.


The truck is parked along US 26 in Torrington, WY. I pass it too early in the morning to make inquiries. I have no need for the truck and other things to spend mad money on but I do get a smile on my face when I drive by. 

6 comments:

LL said...

It's a nice old rig, and the wheels/tires are after market as well. It doesn't look like a restoration job so much as it's just somebody's Jeep - which is so much more cool.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Looks like it could be a daily driver so long as you are content to do 60 mph.

Old NFO said...

I'm betting it still runs, and you could drive it off, after buying it of course... :-)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I'm sure you are correct. It has been there for about three weeks and seems to be part of a used car sales lot.

Anonymous said...

Remember the black Willys Jeep pickup that our neighbor Wilber Jones drove. He had the welding shop across the road from us.I have always loved old Willys Jeeps. They have a certain "air" about them. Sisty

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Hadn't remembered that one. Do remember a Jeep Wagoneer driven (poorly) by our Sainted mother.