Thursday, January 18, 2018

Gone Legit?

In much of Colorado the worst thing to say about an elected official is they have “gone Denver”. Today I went through the process of meeting the state imposed legal requirements to do what I’ve been doing most of my adult life, carrying a concealed firearm. Wonder what that makes me?

I had taken the required safety class and had the certificate. The process at the Sheriff’s office was efficient and pleasant. Cost? $100. I simply walked in and went to the window. Another 45 minutes and I was on my way.

The process would have been faster except for fingerprints. While I haven’t worked my fingers to the bone, have worn down the whorls to the point they are hard to print. It took several tries with one thumb and my right ring finger by the deputy with twenty years of experience.

Weld County, CO is about as red as it gets. Contrast this with the next county South, Adams, where a three term Sheriff allowed 25 permit applications only per day, two days a week, first come, first served. This in a county with a population North of 600,000.

So why haven’t I done this after many years? Family members will say it is because I’m too cheap. They say that like it is a bad thing!

It pisses me off I need to ask/pay for something that is my natural born right, self defense.

Age plays a part. I don’t care to deal with the hassle of fighting the legal system. More so, at age 73, I’m coming to grips with being, in fact, an “at risk” senior.

Privacy concerns played a part. In reality, with all the interconnected data bases privacy is gone. Does anyone believe the FBI purges background check reports after a certain time limit as prescribed by law? They seem to flout any law they find inconvenient, don’t they?

“So, Mr. White, where is the .22 rifle you purchased from XXX and picked up from an FFL in Brighton, CO in 2xxx? You passed a background check then. Oh, and the 20 gauge shotgun from an auction picked up from the same FFL?”

In two to three weeks will have the credit card sized permit with my picture and details. That, and a diminished scofflaw status. Oh well, life goes on.


11 comments:

LL said...

You're too legit to quit.

I hear you, though. It sounds as though the process was fair and the $100 essentially reimbursed the government for the cost of processing.

Arizona has a Constitutional take on the situation: Arizona law states that any person 21 years or older, who is not a prohibited possessor, may carry a weapon openly or concealed without the need for a license.

I remember a polygraph that I had at a two story red brick building in Herndon, Virginia circa mid 1970's.
Q from the flutter tech - "It says here that you carried a concealed firearm since the age of fourteen irrespective of the law."
A LL - "Yes, that's true"
Q flutter tech grows pale - "Are you carrying one now?"
A LL - "No, I figured you'd ask and I didn't want you to feel uneasy."
Q flutter tech - "Thanks LL"

Well Seasoned Fool said...

You are a kind and considerate man.

Coffeypot said...

My experience was about the same as yours, and the renewal is easier... no fingerprints again.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I've been told renewal is a snap.

drjim said...

I'll be doing this soon. I have the forms and required documents. As soon as I have my CO driver's license and CO plates on the Jeep it gets done.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Don't know how it will go in Larimer County. Good luck.

Old NFO said...

Yep, 9 of 10 fingerprints 'failed' the electronic system... Had to do the old fashioned paper way, and only 8 of those were usable. Told 'em they could just ask any number of agencies for mine... sigh

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Amusing unless you need to use a fingerprint reader for access or to clock in.

Momma Fargo said...

Ha. Well, you need HR 218. Then, off you go. And you get to qualify every year. But yes, why? Why do we need permits? The bad guys don't.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Maybe I'm tired of being a bad guy?

drjim said...

Several members of my extended family have their permits, and if you have a clean record, they tell me it's pretty easy.