Sunday, November 29, 2020

Television


 

I haven’t owned a television for several years and rarely watch anyone’s. Many people are aghast. “I couldn’t live without mine”, they exclaim!

What about Netflix, etc? Not interested, thank you very much. My attention span is so short even a 10 minute video on YouTube starts to bore me.

Friday night was spent in a motel in North Platte, NE. Turned on the television and was once again reminded why I don’t have one. Commercial after commercial! Joe Namath hawking something? He’s still alive? Subtle and not so subtle (P)regressive slant on everything. PBS talking about “President” Biden. Gag!

The only thing I found interesting while channel surfing was MMA fights. At least they are real and, I believe, not scripted. If they are scripted, the producers and fighters are superb at their craft.

What I do watch is YouTube. From Mark Felton war history to Matt’s Off Road Recovery, I stay entertained for an hour or so.

Real enjoyment? Reading your blogs and following links. I’m on Facebook with two main activities, keeping up with the two tribes I belong with, and “Stirring the Pot” where I post things to piss off (P)regressives (including ones I’m to whom I’m related).

Cell phone? Calls and texting. Yeah, those who call me a grumpy old man are not far off the mark. In reality, I’m a grouchy old man. I don’t turn grumpy until pissed off. Of course, nearly everything pisses me off.

At least my dog tolerates me.

8 comments:

drjim said...

Not too much stuff I enjoy on the toob any more. I like the car shows, the Outdoor Channel, some SciFi, and the history channels.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
There are things I might enjoy but just as my interest peaks, there are ten minutes of commercials. I lose interest - loath being manipulated.

drjim said...

Good point. Forgot to mention I record the stuff I like, and then I can blast through the commercials. Makes it much more bearable. I can't stand to watch "live" TV any more.

A 60 minute show has 20 minutes of commercials in it....NO!

LL said...

There's not much else to do in North Platte, Nebraska. The grass outside is dead this time of year - maybe with snow on it. So you can't sit outside and watch it grow. Reminds me of the John Denver song about "Saturday Night in Toledo, OH".

You can get addicted to the YouTube mechanic shows. They are surprisingly soothing and there is no politics to piss you off. Ask me how I know.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LL
Ask me how I know.
Why? Just because you built a home around a decent sized shop?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
Your solution is excellent. My problem is learning how to do it. Not much motivation.

LSP said...

The MSM is utter garbage. I avoid it like the plague, unlike steak pie, which is awesome.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin refers to them as American Media Maggots. Apt, I believe.