Monday, November 9, 2020

Banner, aka The Big Pooper


 

Juvat has a great post up about pets (including horses) that prompts this post.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=j&url=https%3A%2F%2Foldafsarge.blogspot.com%2F2020%2F11%2Fschmedly.html&uct=1603763565&usg=zQisYZ99y0W7WHxaSdYoAO-EUds.

October 27th marked our first year together. When I got him I was told he was seven. Three days after I got him he had a vet visit and weighed 70 lbs. At the end of October he had his annual vet visit and weighed 80 lbs. Must mean I’m starving him!

A young lady had him from a pup. In the following years she acquired a husband, two children, and the family two more dogs. Things went well for awhile but the other dogs started attacking him, he fought back, and has lots of scars. They decided to see if someone would adopt him. I’m sure that family loved him but I am also sure they used harsh discipline. Even after a year, he flinches and cringes. I rarely swat him.

We got in contact via Craigslist. Several people were interested but she picked me. I do believe I won the dog lottery.

He doesn’t chew anything in the apartment. He has never had an “accident”. He has vomited one time. He rarely barks and only if a stranger is at the door. Other than having his nails clipped his grooming needs are minimal.



Being named after the Incredible Hulk doesn’t make you one. He is the biggest wimp. Hates water. Won’t play “fetch”. Tile floors terrify him. The young lady would lay out towel bridges for him. I just drag his ass across them. He understands I’m the pack leader. I am first across the threshold.

He is great riding in the car, even for hours, so long as he has the back seat to himself. In the import pickup, not so much, as he can’t stretch out. I've never put him in the bed.



His one bad habit is he loves to eat grass. Sometimes I think I have a pony. My biggest concern is him eating grass that has been sprayed with Roundup or similar. I’m thinking about getting a training collar.

He snores! 

Only one time has he shown aggression towards a person. A panhandler walked by the car and Banner gave a growl worthy of a lion. He has shown “posturing” aggression toward a few dogs but has never taken it further into actual fighting.



In addition to enhancing my life, he puts a lot of smiles on a lot of faces. Mine is one of 90 apartments in a senior housing building and many of the residents adore him. Probably 75-80% of the residents are women. Who knew I would become a wing-man for a dog? Likely, few would even speak to me if not for him.  While he allows anyone to pet him, he has his favorites, especially the “treat lady”, chief witch of the Coven. Another is a man in a motorized chair that rarely speaks to anyone, and is a scary looking dude.  Not to Banner. If he is off leash, he runs to great him.

With the exception of an Irish Setter, all of the dogs in the building are small “yappers”. Banner ignores them, for the most part, but his favorite is “Pinto”, a young Chihuahua about the size of Banner’s jaw.




Before I got him I was on a serious weight loss program (70 lbs in two years) that he helps with our two one mile walks a day. Some of our walks are through residential areas and several young kids run out to greet him. He stoically accepts their attention.

Until well into my “retirement”, my lifestyle would have been cruel for a pet. I didn’t realize how much they can brighten you life.

13 comments:

Sisty said...

He is also partial to his Aunt Sisty. He has excellent taste. Getting him is one of the better things that you have done in your life. You are both good for each other.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Yes, good for both of us though he does have good taste lapses, just saying.

drjim said...

Having met Banner, I approve this message!

He's extremely well behaved around people and little kids, and has no problem accepting their hugs from what I could see at the Greeley Old Time Farm Show.

Our family had dogs while I was growing up, but I never really "lived" with them until I met SLW, who had two. Her dogs were 100% family members, and one of them, Domino, became my best buddy. Ever since then, I can't imagine a life without dogs.

Ami said...

The two of you are enriching each other's lives.
Very glad to see it.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
He approved of you!

Ami
Thanks.

Old NFO said...

Dogs are great companions, unlike cats, who think you are their slaves... ;-)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LOL
I've enjoyed the cats my wife and kids have had.

Greybeard said...

Lost our Lucy after 14 years in July.
It hurt as much as losing my Mother and Father.
It is cruel that they live such short lives, because they definitely make our world a better place.
We'll get another dog... when our traveling lessens.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
I still miss the dogs of my childhood. You are right; too short their lives.

Sisty said...

Stoopy did her best to raise you. It's not her fault that you turned out the way that you did. She tried!!!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Sisty
True

LSP said...

Banner looks like a good dog and doesn't like panhandlers because he's obviously not a thieving commie. Blue HATES rural trash potheads, he'll attack. Also hates USPS people, which shows great good sense.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

We don't have big city level of panhandlers but the ones we do have are organized and work in shifts.