Monday, November 16, 2020

Automobile Clichés


 

Two best days of ownership

The day you buy it

The day you sell it

 

Driving into the sun, and trying to adjust my sun visor, had a low speed collision with a Ford F-250. As expected, the Ford had a massive rear bumper and receiver hitch. As I was at a walking pace (stopping for a red light) the truck wasn’t harmed and my Taurus’ radiator intact.

I drove it home and parked. Next day, on Craigslist for sale. Five hours later four Benji’s were in my wallet and the new owner drove the Taurus away.

 Two days later he sent me these pictures. I’m happy for him.



Early in my car selling days, a manager taught me you make more money buying than selling. I bought this car for $800, drove it two+ years and 40,000 miles, and sold it for $400.

It has been a minor money pit, electrical problems (may have been a flood car), tires and an alternator. The ignition lock went South and replacing the whole steering column was more cost effective. Had to replace the turn signal switch. 

My last car payment was in 1984. I’m a “farm boy” mechanic but age has caught up with me along with reluctance to put my body through the bending and bruising working on vehicles.

I still have my “classic” 1986 Mitsubishi Might Max which is the most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned. With just 172,000 miles, it will do until I find another vehicle (at the right price). My sister says she plans to bury me in “Maxine”.

 


Winter is here and the Mitsu has a great heater. By the heat of next summer I will have found something with working A/C.

Least there is any doubt, let me say I take pride in being cheap.

10 comments:

Old NFO said...

Glad you're okay, and yes, stick with what works!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Thank you. Now if I win the Powerball..........

Greybeard said...

For me, it's budget related.
We have the dough now to afford that new car smell. I also don't want to have to deal with niggling little stuff going wrong frequently.
Anti-lock brakes. Anti-collision devices. Proximity warning stuff.
I can't die with it, so I'll enjoy it while I can.
And 363 hp at the (4) wheels puts a smile on my face.

LSP said...

Cheap? I like that, why get gouged. Speaking of which, decided to hold off on a new/used rig till next year or the year after. That means replacing shocks and struts at 275k, annoying expense but way cheaper than the 14k alternative.

This way I have the money for a long range rifle! Please don't laugh, NFO.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

You've earned it. My finances are influenced by the realization I may live my last years in assisted living. Two aunts are now in the 80's and my mother died at 95. One of her sisters made it past the century mark.

LSP said...

*275k mileage, obvs

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Shocks on a F-150 aren't too difficult. 14k doesn't buy much. My sister put a rebuilt engine in her F-150 for under $5k.

LSP said...

WSF, my dad's mother lived close to her 90s in assisted living in Milwaukee. She enjoyed a straight up martini and cigarettes 'til the end. Ferociously so! A tertiary Franciscan, curiously.

Made of stern stuff, those Depression people. Respect.

drjim said...

Oh, well, bye-bye Ford!

Glad it was a bump, and not a full-fledged hit.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Sound like my relatives.

drjim
If you have to be in one, that is about as easy as it gets.