Thursday, November 7, 2019

Getting More Than Planned



After many years without a dog I got one. A semi-rescue, he was in a home where, after three years, the other dog started fighting with him. He fought back and has many scars and missing teeth. At seven years old, I should have him for several more years.

He is a lab mix named “Banner” as in Bruce Banner, the Incredible Hulk.

Other than liking dogs in general, I thought having one would make me more active and less of a hermit.

Little did I know the changes he would bring in less than two weeks. He needs to be walked four times a day forcing me to exercise more. I’ve lost a few pounds.

The building I live in, a Senior 62+ four story building with 96 apartments, is populated mainly by unattached women. They gather in the lobby and common areas to gossip and play board games. Many have decided they love Bannner. I can’t make it out of the lobby or common areas without running a gauntlet of cooing females who feed him treats behind my back. He enjoys the attention.

Is he now my wingman?

Within the apartment, when he decides he wants attention he comes and shoves his nose in my lap. Despite his earnest desire, I will not let him be a lap dog! I have a big lap but not 62 pounds big.

I do make him sleep in a crate after the first night when he decided to share my bed.

I’m still working independent contractor jobs and he accompanies me. Any clients that don’t like it can pack sand. I spent too many years on the road to go back to rules and requirements. If I travel now, it is on my terms.

We are still working on who is the “pack leader”. The blasted females in the building aren’t helping!

So far he has shown no aggression to the horde of little yappers the other residents have. One disabled former policeman has a female Irish setter that wants to be his friend. He doesn’t bark or growl.


Watchdog? Yeah, he would watch the thieves carry away my stuff!

13 comments:

LL said...

I think that's excellent! Banner will be a good wingman and because he's a rescue, he will have habits that will need to be managed. Let's face it, WSF, even you and I are "rescues" after a fashion. He has baggage like everyone else.

Old NFO said...

LOL, yep, he'll help you get fixed up with one of those widows... LOL

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LL
He is getting me trained. I wouldn't be opposed to a discrete rescue.

OldNFO
There is one morning coffee group I call the coven (to their faces) and they give back to me with interest. I do admire how they have made a community within this building. Still, they remind me of a bunch of middle school girls, only wrinkled.

Coffeypot said...

Banner is doing what God instilled in them... make you a better, happier and healther pack member. Given time, he will choose the witterwoman for ya.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

CP
Ya think?

drjim said...

Banner hit the Doggie Lotto, and he knows it! I'm glad to hear he's working out so well. Labs are big puppies all their lives, and love attention, and give it right back.

Dogs are very rewarding creatures to live with. I'd forgotten how much I like dogs until I met my current wife, who had two when I met her.

I've now had the experience of living with six different dogs over the last twelve years or so. Three of them I still see on a regular basis, as The Kids took them when they moved here.

And good on you for taking him with you everywhere you can. I'm sure he loves it, and it really helps them bond with you, although that doesn't sound like any problem at all.....

Fredd said...

I never had a dog growing up, only cats. Throughout the years, I figured that both dogs and cats were about as smart. Then we got a dog (a Pomeranian) for my daughter about 3 years ago (which I fought against for years and eventually lost).

Forget about that dog and cat equality when it comes to smarts: dogs are clearly 10 times smarter than cats, and you can talk to dogs (well, communicate is more accurate) way better than cats. Dogs can learn words and respond to them, no way with cats.

Yes, this little dog is only 10 pounds, not like 62 pound heavy weight Banner, but she is all dog. She has ruled our two cats since she was a 2 pound puppy, with an iron fist. There is no doubt as to who the alpha animal is in our home.

Dogs are great. I didn't find that out until I was 61.

Brig said...

Glad you've got Banner for a wingman. My dog is not the greatest of wingmen, but he does make for good company.
Watch out for those widderwomen!
I've a sil that wants me to join a sun city golf & card playing type group. No thanks, I'd much rather be shooting, camping, fishing, hunting, etc... or curled up by a fire reading.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
He loves riding in the car. Still intimidated by wide open spaces.

Fredd
My mother had two Poms, both feisty. My sons had/have cats. I get along with them.

Brig
I'm with you on activities. Most of the residents here are poor. I'm one of the few residents paying full price and happy to do so.

Lots of walkers, wheelchairs, and oxygen generators around the place.

Sisty said...

Banner is living proof that WSF is still trainable. I love the learning curve that this relationship is going through. It is good for both of them.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Sisty
Me trainable? Are you trying to shred my man card?

Sisty said...

Your man card has been in tatters for a long time.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Sisty
Tatters maybe, but still intact.