Sunday, August 4, 2019

Whatever



Those who write detailed, one subject, blogs have my admiration. I don’t share that skill so you get a hodgepodge of unrelated ideas. You have been warned.

National Popular Vote

The deep blue wave that overtook Colorado politics rammed through this piece of crap. Using parliamentary tricks, labeled it “emergency” making it harder to repeal. A petition effort to place the question on the 2020 ballot has succeeded! At the deadline, 227,198 signatures, 100,000 more than necessary, were filed with the Secretary of State who has 30 days to validate them.

No celebration yet. Jena Griswold, the newly elected Secretary of State, has no qualifications for her job other than being a reliable (P)regressive while in the State Legislature. This will be a test to see if she has a shred of integrity. Don’t count on it, IMO.

Recall Polis

This recall effort is faltering. As part of the (P)regressive bag of dirty tricks, several fake recall efforts are running which dilutes the effort and will result in multiple signatures which invalidates all of them.

This bumper sticker is on my car. I get a few social fingers from passing motorists and more thumbs up.

Law and Order

A local Hell's Angel wannabe fired shots at a perusing police officer while on a putt on his hog. After trial, the judge gave him 32 years.  This is not a county that is known for leniency.

A looming problem is the way the state parole system works. Felons are being released on parole, with no home address, or even home, and local law enforcement isn’t being notified. Unless the felon is a sex offender, they are in the wind.

Swetsville Zoo


A quirky local attraction is closing, victim of urbanization. It will be missed.


Milk Carton Kid

One of the original milk carton kids, Jonelle Matthews remains were discovered in Weld County by a pipeline construction crew. Age 12, she disappeared on 12/20/1984. Her disappearance had a huge impact on the community at large including a niece who was around that age.

Grandson


Now nine. Time flies.

Veterans Administration

Still fighting but some progress is being made. Have another appointment 8/12 that should lead to the “minor” operation being scheduled.

Dogs

I want to get one and my life is starting to become orderly enough (I’m not on the road all the time) to give one a decent home. In the meantime, all the tiny breeds that the ladies in the building parade need to be petted and have their ears scratched. It is often a gauntlet around the front door. Today I was at my sister’s house, and Riley, the schnauzer, demanded petting and a belly rub.

Section 8 Housing



Let me be clear, I’m not eligible for Section 8, nor do I want to be. That said, the local county office is requiring a birth certificate, among many other documents, from any applicant. Bravo!

Memorial Service

A previous post was about her health problem and, in my sister’s comment, her death. There will be a memorial service at the end of the month.



Life continues. While not original, I subscribe to, “I don’t mind getting old but my body is having issues with it”. I’ll keep on keeping on until I can’t.

Tomorrow I’ll visit the local $25 Chiro office. It is time for another “adjustment”.

NOTE: Not the original title. Brig beat me to it by and hour.

20 comments:

Fredd said...

Colorado doesn't seem to fit your borderline asshole personality. Maybe move to Wyoming? Or maybe Utah?

Just trying to help, Fool.

drjim said...

Bummer about the Swetsville Zoo. We've been there half-a-dozen times, and always find something 'new' to look at.

We signed the Recall Polis petition as soon as we entered The Ranch today, along with the "ONLY US citizens allowed to vote" petition.

I stopped in at the Larimer County Republican Pasrty booth to say hi and get some more info on them. I think there's a LCRP office on College Ave, too.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Fedd
Working on a COLOEXIT plan. Wyoming is the logical move. I've lived in Utah and don't like their taxes.

drjim
I will continue to work on recalling Polis if only to raise awareness so as to make him a one term mistake.

Can't blame the Swetzwille Zoo owner. He is being squeezed by the City of Timnath plus he is in a flood plain.

Coffeypot said...

It is you different post types that helps keeping coming back... and if you are not using the ladies dogs to find a friend or suitable mate, I think you should get a dog. They are your friend for life. I cannot imagine living without one.

drjim said...

I have to admit that most of the structures at the zoo "need a little work", and since Timnath is getting all "gentrified", the city probably considers him a blight on property values.

And yeah, that side of the river is flood prone. He got clobbered a couple of times I know about, and the potential for further flooding is strong.

Still, it's one of those quirky, lovable things the area is lucky to have, and Mr. Swets is a gifted and talented guy..

Kind of reminds me the Simon Rodia Towers in Watts, where somebody had fun making things out of junk for all to enjoy.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Coffeypot
Thanks. For too many years, spent half a month in motels. Not fair to a dog.

drjim
I do a lot of delinquent mortgage work in Timnath. $800,000 houses with three car garages, $100,000+ in leased vehicles scattered around, and they can't make a $2 G a month note. Living in a fool's paradise. The way the city is run reflects these values.

Did you notice the Assistant County Assessor recently quit? People want all the services but want someone else to pay for them. Hope your taxes didn't go up like the McMansions did.

drjim said...

Our taxes went up, but we appealed, based on the real estate comps for the area.

And they agreed!

They rolled back most of the increase, but we still had an increase.

Every time I see a "young" couple in one of those homes, with all the toys proudly displayed, I wonder what they do for living, and what their monthly nut is.

Thought we left most of that in Kommiefornia, but it looks like that kind of stinkin' thinkin' is prevalent no matter where you go.

Our in-laws have "all the toys" and nice cars/trucks, but they buy used (or repo'd!) toys, and vehicles, and they live in modest homes.

And I simply can't see leasing any kind of car/truck/boat/ATV unless you can write it off.

LL said...

So much to comment on. I like schnauzers-- and know a couple of off color schnauzer jokes. Our family had schnauzers when I was young and they're smart, but demanding. Not quite as demanding as a Jack Russell, but ignore them at your peril.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
As a salesman I did hundreds of leases. One idea I used to great effect was/is liability. You own a vehicle, you own the liability. Your insurance company is obliged to defend you and pay to the policy limits. They are not obliged to defend you the way you want to be defended. Claim is $132,000, your policy is $100,000. The insurance companies agrees, with or without your consent, pays the $100,000 leaving you with the balance.

With a leased vehicle, the lease company owns it, and the liability. The lease company sets the minimum policy limit, true, but you don't have any liability. Your other assets can't be touched.

When you own your vehicles free and clear, an insurance strategy with a knowledgeable broker might be a smart move. A million dollar rider isn't that expensive.

LL
Her second schnauzer. I like border collies and corgis but need to carefully consider suitability to apartment living and the amount of exercise/stimulation I can give a dog.

Brig said...

Sorry about the title thing, not many read mine though so I wouldn't have minded...lol

We have always had dogs of one variety or another, mostly border/mc nab crosses. Would love to have one again, but it's not fair to ask them to live in town as they need room and a job. I've also had a poodle X, an airedale, blue heeler, scotties, and a couple jack russells to name a few.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Brig
Someone gave my sister a standard poodle. A city dog, he was out of placed on a ranch. Smart dog, he had our border collie teach him to herd horses and otherwise made himself useful. My parents at one time had a Weimarrauner. Good dog but not a stock dog.

Coffeypot said...

LL, how about:
A little girl went with her father to get a haircut. She was standing next to the barber and eating a Twinkie. The barber looked down and said, “Don’t you know you will get hair on your Twinkie?”

She replied, “Oh, yes, I know. And I will get boobs, too.”

Old NFO said...

Good post, and yeah, political games are becoming the norm, rather than the exception. Stay away from Aussies unless you want the apartment rewired, the TV and computer reprogrammed, and all of your shoes eaten... Sigh...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
Good advice!

LSP said...

What a great post. Single issue focus blogs get tiresome, imo. So what was the biker thinking? Not very much, I'd imagine.

Sorry about the zoo and good luck rolling back the iniquitous blue wave.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Thank you. Biker? Shit for brains in local parlance.

Momma Fargo said...

Wonderful post and I don't think you have to be one thing or have one subject. Just be you. Is that hippie enough? I think you need a dog. I have 5. I love them all. I also read hoarding animals is a mental illness thing. I am a sick, sick person. Love ya!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Momma

Five seems a tad excessive along with horses and maybe a cat?

Momma Fargo said...

2 horses, a donkey, 10 barn cats.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Should add a couple of goats to handle the weeds.