Saturday, August 31, 2019

Glad It Is Over


Sisty and I went together to a Memorial service today. I drove as she is still recovering from foot surgery.

The person who died (age 65) was married to one of our cousins. Their relationship was troubled. She was accepted as a family member early on and that never changed. In particular, she was very close to one of our two surviving aunts. We wanted to be there in support of her two (adult) children and our aunt.

The venue was a private home in the foothills near the town of Morrison west of Denver. Perhaps 150 people were present.

Our cousin’s relatives, (the “White’s) were well represented but outnumbered by her relatives (the “Collins’). Lots of visiting, food and alcohol consumed, and reminisces were shared.

Sisty and I slipped away early. The excuse, and it is real, was our health. 85° temperatures at 8,200’ ASL can be taxing.

While enjoying seeing various cousins, their spouses, ex-spouses, etc. and catching up, the occasion itself depressed me, and I’m glad it is over.

11 comments:

Ami said...

I'm going to a family event next week, although a little happier occasion, my little cousin is getting married.

Catching up with people you love can be wonderful.

LL said...

I hate attending these services as well. They're depressing, but it was good of you to support family. That's important.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Ami
We haven't had one for awhile. Shacking up seems to be the norm for now.

LL
Family - 90% of my motivation.

drjim said...

I have a hard time attending these, too, but family is family.

"Good on 'ya", as one of my buddies used to say.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Duty calls.

Coffeypot said...

I heard it said (jokingly?) at a cousin's funeral, "I can't wait until someone else dies so we can all get together again." It seems that more family members, cousins, aunts and uncles, friends and other relatives gather at funerals than weddings. I've never left a funeral feeling nothing more than relief that it wasn't mine. All that stuff is why I choose to be cremated.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Coffeypot
You won't be around to complain if your wishes aren't followed, just saying.

Brig said...

I have a "celebration of life" service coming up that I'm not looking forward too. Who came up with that "celebration of life" title anyway? A funeral is a funeral, a wake is a wake.
Neither of my parents wanted any services at all. And their wishes were followed. The Cowman got a small private family gathering, where fences were mended, when we scattered his ashes...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

We did the same with our Mother. My Father had remarried and we followed his widow's wishes. Ghastly spectacle.

Old NFO said...

We ARE getting to that age... dammit...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
Increasing odds when you are part of large families.