Sunday, June 2, 2019

Piss Poor Mechanic


My sister needs to drive to Reno for a conference. Always looking to make something worthwhile, she is pulling a U Haul trailer with furniture destined for Fresno. After picking up the trailer load, her F-150 started overheating. Needed a new thermostat.

No mechanics available on a Saturday night/Sunday morning so I volunteered to do the job. Two clamps hold the air intake system in place and three bolts the thermostat housing. Naturally there is a shit load of hoses and stuff in the way. A 15-20 minute job for a competent mechanic. I got it done in approximately 90 minutes. The kindest thing you can say about my ranch kid mechanic skills is my hourly rate is unmatched.

It is done, doesn't leak, doesn't overheat, and she can be on her way a few hours late on her ETD. Life is good.

12 comments:

Old NFO said...

You got it done. THAT is what counts... And I'm betting she's not bitching about the time delay.

Brig said...

What Jim said!

LL said...

Well done, WSF

Well Seasoned Fool said...

She is Westbound and down. Last person must have used Locktite. Had to find my 30" breaker bar to get the bolts loose.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Great job, no matter how long it took! Funny, it seems like something like that always comes up before a trip.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Yes. Has happened so many times.

Fredd said...

I lived in Fresno for 10 months: hell on earth. And that Tule fog - a killer.

She would have been better off just not getting to Fresno.

Of course, I live outside Chicago, more dangerous than the Afghan war zone: I should talk.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Fredd
Trust me she has no desire to visit Fresno. It is complicated, just saying, and I will leave it at that.

drjim said...

Agree with NFO! You rectified the problem, and got another happy customer back on their way.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap, pick any two!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
Talked to her. She was in Rock Springs, WY having supper with a cousin. Fix seems to be holding. My fingers are complaining. You have seen the truck. Had to get a step stool. That elk killer grill guard sticks out at least 10".

Anonymous said...

My Brudder is the BESTEST!!! You may never see me post that again. We always have each other's back. Trip was uneventful and cargo delivered.

Sisty

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Family.