Thursday, May 2, 2019

Survived the VA


Survived the VA appointment today. It has taken 2+ years and the intervention of my Congressman to get there. Dr. Dickhead wasn't quite a dickhead today, thankfully.

For those interested in the gory details, read on. Others may wish to skip this paragraph. A catheter with a micro camera was inserted into the precious member and my innards displayed in real time living color on a monitor. Interesting. Bottom line is I need to have a rotor rooting to open passages. Whee! The procedure was “uncomfortable” but not real painful with no lingering side effects.

Dr. Dickhead will now refer me to a hospital equipped to do the procedure. I didn’t bother to inquire why he, and the VA Hospital, isn’t set up to doing it.

Now I wait for the referral/appointment. I can only hope I live that long.

On to the rant! What, thought there wouldn’t be one? The parking at VA Hospital Cheyenne sucks! It took me thirty minutes to find a place, five minutes away from the entry, in a muddy gravel lot. I feel for those vets with mobility issues.

Nice drive up and back. The short grass prairie is green and the pronghorns I saw were is good condition.

Tomorrow is prep day for the weekend Moffat County adventure.

12 comments:

Old NFO said...

Well, glad you got in, and there is progress. The VA is getting smarter on sending people out, rather than waiting six months to a year to schedule the procedure 'in house' so to speak. And parking is ALWAYS an issue at the VA locations... sigh

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
Will take me awhile to ese off cynicism.

drjim said...

Good to hear you finally got some traction with the VA!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

It has been a journey.

Ami said...

Being equipped with different plumbing, I don't pretend to understand, but it sounds really awful. I hope that things are taken care of quickly and that you have no complications from any of it.

And hope the nice drive made up for the crappy parking and the fact that you had to see Dr. Dickhead.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Ami
Just age related prostrate enlargement.

LL said...

I’ve endured that procedure, old friend. It wasn’t horrible. The VA on the other hand, is a place that I avoid.

The VA in Phoenix is so bad that there is a Congressional office inside to deal with complaints. No lie.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LL
Needs to be done so will suck it up and get it done.

VA Phoenix? Little will surprise me about them. HIPPA? My good friend, Dirty Al Imhoff, had an appointment and was arrested by the FBI as he was walking in. The VA alerted them he had an appointment.

I've blogged before about his arrest and mistreatment after the disappearance of a young girl (he was completely innocent but was guilty of pissing off an FBI supervisor).

Brig said...

I have to say that my dad got great care at the VA in Redding, CA. In the last four years of his life I took him and stayed with him during appts, tests, etc. All his doctors & nurses were very caring, knowledgeable, and actually listened to what he had to say. I found them to have more on the ball and better attitudes than the civilian docs that treated him.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Brig
I love good stories. Too few nationwide with the VA.

Beans said...

Just be glad it was just old-age prostate issues. Don't ever run low on mucus in your plumbing system. Seriously. Trust me. :)

Glad the issues with the VA are slowly getting better. It has been too long that this nation as a whole has allowed substandard care for it's vets and their dependents.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I've been very fortunate with health issues. Going to the VA was a financial decision.