Monday, May 6, 2019

Sombrero 2019


This year’s Great American Horse Drive is over. We had a nice family gathering during the event. Went well, no police were needed.

Maybell, CO is a small town. The city park is a large block square. Interesting mix of commercial operations and private camping rigs, for two days it exists in quiet chaos.



The spectators line US Highway 40. Then come the “dudes” who have paid upwards of $3,000 plus travel expenses to have an excellent three day adventure.




Then the horses. Not so many this year. Bet most are trucked. 400-500 head take some experienced riders. Lessons learned from past years?


Part of the clan watching. Others are directing traffic (volunteer fire department, etc.)



My sister can’t leave her truck unguarded!


One cousin and his wife have a part time “art” business centered around used horse shoes.


Wanting some quiet time, both my sister and I booked rooms in Meeker, CO, about one hour away from Maybell. The drive is on a seldom traveled paved country road. Perfect time of year as everything is turning green. There is some rugged land between the two places.


Not long ago I would have climbed down the bank and got under the power lines.

Driving over, saw four elk, one sorry looking deer, numerous pronghorn, and something I’ve never seen in that area, a tom turkey. He must have been courting as he was displaying his feathers.

Whenever I travel I-80 in Wyoming, I stop in Rawlins for gas and to see a minor landmark that has been there as long as I can remember.


A no drama trip with good weather, good company, and a chance to see the UP steamers. Life is good.

6 comments:

LL said...

Great trip! I’m envious.

The very marrow of life.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Exactly so.

drjim said...

Good to hear you and Sisty and the clan had a grand time of it!

I haven't been on a horse since I was 10, and I was barely OK at it. I sure like horses, though.....

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I was on horses from an early age. Riding on my own before age 4. Despite that, not a big horse fan.

Old NFO said...

Glad it went well, and you got time with family with no drama! :-D

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Didn't realize how much I needed that.