Monday, May 6, 2019

Steam Engines



May 4th a large crowd gathered near Tie Siding, WY to see the UP Steam Engines pass by. 



One of the largest steam engines to ever operate, UP 4014 “Big Boy” sat on display for 60 years until being brought back to Cheyenne to the Union Pacific Steam Shop. The UP has been operating UP 844 for awhile. Both were in the train.


When it was brought back I was at Tie Siding to see it pass. Yeah, I’m a fanboy. I’ll be there again May 17th when the double head comes back from the 150th Golden Spike Celebration in Ogden, UT.

We were just a small part of the thousands who gathered along the route. One couple had come from Maine.

It is coming.

It is here.





It is gone.

Three minute experience. Now to get back to the paved highway.

I waited for about thirty minutes to let most of the crowd leave. While leaving I saw zero trash and litter. Good people, rail fans.

Best news? It wasn’t snowing.

12 comments:

Brig said...

Heehaw, you got to see it!
There is something about the sound of steam engines,
and jets, and helos...

Brig said...

YeeHaw! dang spell checker!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Brig
Looking forward to the return when they will be traveling up a 2.7% grade.

drjim said...

WoW! That baby must have shook the ground when it went by!

Let me know when/where you'll be for the return, and I'll do my best to hook up with you so I can see it.

I even charged up the batteries in my GoPro.....

Coffeypot said...

How could you enjoy with all the elbow bumping with the crowd?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
We'll have to make that happen.
It does make you aware something large and powerful is passing.

Coffeypot
Yeah, couldn't get to "my" rock. Damn tourists were already camped out on it.

RHT447 said...

Sweet!

Another fanboy here. I have some video I shot of UP Challenger (#3985) passing through Chico, CA in 2005, and then making a stop a few miles up the line. Would be happy to burn you a DVD copy.

I am no expert, but in several of the 4014 videos I've watched they seem to only be running on the front cylinders and drivers. I know they were rushing to get it on the road in time for the Golden Spike anniversary.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

RHT447
Have some video of the Challenger pulling the last Ringling Brothers circus train. Thanks for the offer.

Per a FB page https://www.facebook.com/groups/UPSteamClub/ the subject of full power has been discussed and it appears 4014 is fully operational. My guess an engine designed to pull 200 loaded freight cars from Cheyenne to Sherman Summit (6,060 ASL to 8,035) or Ogden, UT to Evanston, WY (4,300 to 6,749) doesn't need all the power for 16 or so cars. I've read they crew is keeping the consist at around 35 mph for now.

Old NFO said...

Beautiful shots! Thanks for sharing them!

LSP said...

I loved that. More steam, please.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Thank you, and you are welcome.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Maybe later on the flip-flop.