Sunday, May 19, 2019

Hear A Train Coming



Today the Union Pacific steamers, UP 4014 (Big Boy) and UP 844 returned from Ogden, UT. Just a fraction of the crowd that watched them going to Ogden on 5/4/2109 were at Tie Siding, WY today but included my sister, DrJim and his wife http://every-blade-of-grass.blogspot.com/  and Mr. Rigby, my sisters dog.



The weather was chilly with fog. It is Wyoming in May so not a surprise. At least it wasn’t snowing and the wind was a light breeze.

My sister, ever mindful of the bottom line, then drove over to Cheyenne and took pictures of a repaired stand alone freezer to finalize an insurance claim.

Next was Fort Collins where I held the dumb end of a 100’ tape measure while she sketched out an accident scene.

The Union Pacific Steam Shop has done an outstanding job bring to life a steam engine that sat  in Pomona, CA for sixty years. She wasn’t moving very fast and was late arriving in Cheyenne so I suspect there are things that need to be corrected.

Still, we were able to witness something today that few people, now living, have ever seen live. A good day and good company.

7 comments:

drjim said...

We had a great time! The GoPro didn't cooperate, though, and didn't record any video.

Guess I should have RTFM before going on this once-in-a-VERY-great-while event!

But as my wife reminded me as I was about to kick myself over the camera malfunction, "Hey...at least we got to see it!", which put things back into perspective.....

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Glad we were all able to share the experience. Too bad about the GoPro.

LL said...

Exiting experience and DRJIM is always fun.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Enjoyable morning. They need to get back home for an afternoon affair.

Old NFO said...

Good folks all! One of these days maybe I'll get to actually see it. One of my old Flight Engineers in the Navy is now a RR engineer inspector, and rode 844 into Ogden. However, no photos or video as they are not allowed to have them in the cab.

Fredd said...

I already posted a comment on Dr. Jim's site. Ditto that here.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
The UP will probably send them on tour but nothing announced yet. For Facebook users the is the Official Union Pacific Steam Club page. The summer schedule will be posted when they determine what/when/where. My guess is both engines will need some serious thinkering.

Fredd
Read your comment.