Sunday, August 26, 2018

$30 Solution



The speedometer in my 1986 truck is become unreliable. Few shops know how to work on a speedometer and I am loath to pay shop rates for them to learn on my dime. Parts are another problem.

The pictures are of a $30 projection GPS speedometer bought off Amazon.

Ignition on, it reads battery voltage. With the engine running, it shows the alternator output.

Once moving, it starts reading speed in about ¼ to ½ of a block. Checking against my Magellan GPS speed readout, it is within a MPH.

The problem I’ve encountered is my numb fingers have a hard time with the tiny controls. Fortunately a comely young neighbor helped.

I will use it for awhile. If I like it, I will hard wire it instead of using the cigarette lighter plug.

There are a lot of these available now but most are designed to work with an OBS socket. My truck is far too old for that (one of the reasons I keep it).

No comments: