Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Al Gore's Fault, Don't You Know


After a long hot dry spell, the end of July has been, in cowboy terms, plumb interesting. Hail and tornado have hit hard and we aren’t even into the usual monsoon season.

Sunday drove a few blocks to a Safeway store. A few fat raindrops should have alerted me. Suddenly it sounded like buckshot hitting my truck. Ducked under the gas station canopy where I was soon joined by around twenty other drivers. Twenty minutes later it was all over. Thirty minutes later the sky was nearly clear of clouds.

North towards Cheyenne twice last week snowplows were needed to clear I-25.

Rodeo competitors are tough people. The show goes on regardless of the weather. You can choose to compete or not.


Sunday a tornado went through Brush, CO causing a lot of damage including the small airport. Hit about the same time as the hail storm that hit us.

Monday my business took me through Brush. Sorry, no photographs. What residents dealing with the aftermath don’t need are gawkers. Today, my sister, the insurance adjuster, is on scene. She is having a busy summer.

For those interested:


https://www.9news.com/article/weather/weather-colorado/brush-airport-damaged-by-possible-tornado/73-578618504

The area and counties to the east have many tornados.


The Windsor tornado mentioned damaged a pickup of mine. Not far away, an anvil was found in a tree, about 275’ from the non-existent shop building that housed it.

Being out and about in the area frequently, I try to do my business in the early morning hours. By 1 or 2 p.m. I want to be back in town.

All around the area, auto hail repair operations have set up big tents in parking lots and their employees are filling local motels and restaurants. Today I accused an acquaintance who solicits commercial roofing jobs of seeding the clouds to produce bigger storms.

Smiling, he said, “It’s working”.

No comments: