Monday, July 18, 2011

Wonder Dog



Deuce, the wonder lab, belongs to my youngest son. My daughter in law calls him “Dumb Dumb”. It was a true case of, “Love me, love my dog”. They are off to Disneyland, so once again he is my house guest for a few days.

This dog is a typical lab except he is a wuss. I’m accustomed to ranch dogs who think riding in the back of a pickup is wonderful. We put him in my import pickup with the rear sliding window open so my son could keep hold of his leash. Deuce cried and howled so piteously my son had me stop and brought him into the cab. Great, one 285 lb man, one 210 lb man, and one 60 lb dog inside a compact pickup cab. Comfy.

He will chase rabbits and squirrels. Little do they realize he would turn tail and run if they confronted him. The neighbor’s cat chases him. I let him run in a overgrown river bottom nearby. He encountered a turkey. Turkey put him to flight, crying and yelping as he ran back to the Tracker.

He changes 180 degrees in his family protection mode. He will protect his pact against all comers. When the adults need to discipline a child, Deuce must be taken to another room and the door closed. While my son was in Afghanistan, I was comforted that Deuce was on guard in their home. Of course, my daughter in law can stand down a squad of Rangers. Not a good home invasion target, that house. With an active or retired service family in every third house, probably not a neighborhood the wise criminal seeks out.

The first time he stayed with me, we had dominance issues. He is both strong and stubborn. Past those issues, I really enjoy him. Not, FDIL, well enough for a full time situation!

7 comments:

Old NFO said...

Hehehe- Sounds like an 'interesting' dog you've got there (temporarily)... :-)

Unknown said...

Good Lord! What does it take to get past a lab's stubbornness?

Anonymous said...

Good looking truck. Too bad it got bad gas and needed to be retired. Great driver during its time.

Sisty

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Sisty
Terrible investment. Paid $300 for it. Used by family members and associates for four years. Had to buy a set of tires. Combination of bad gas, hail, and a tornado brought about a sale. Only got $200 for it when it sold.

FDIL said...

Now you'll have a dog for each hand!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

You hope, when you have a need. Five kids, two dogs! Did you know I moved? No,you can't have the new address.

FDIL said...

I have ways of finding you!! Be afraid....VERY afraid!!! LOL