Monday, April 4, 2022

Reflections on Mortality

Yesterday Banner’s “Treat Lady” was taken by ambulance to a hospital where she died. Not unexpected in a 92 unit senior housing apartment. She is the third resident to die in the past thirty days.

The reflection part comes from considering one’s personal obligations to others and one’s self as we age. This woman had a demanding selfish side and a refusal to make an effort to improve her health. Most of the residents here will help each other as needed. Such help is voluntary and freely given. What changes is when the help is demanded. This woman ended her days sitting alone in her apartment.

This building, prior to COVID, was becoming a vibrant community. Then came two years of isolation. Slowly the community part is coming back. Informal gatherings for conversations are becoming the norm. The jigsaw puzzle fanatics are busy. A pool table was donated and sees a lot of use. The Coven is back with their dice game. What is required of an individual is to get off their asses and make the effort to join in. This is where Arlene, the “Treat Lady” didn’t do her part.

For my part, I occasionally drove Arlene in her van around town and would bring her groceries up to her apartment. Others would take her trash to the dumpster. All of us became weary of her demands.

At what point do we stop being our brother’s and sister’s keeper? What obligation has the “brother or sister” to those around them?

Medical science keeps me alive by means of a CPAP and pacemaker. My biggest fear is becoming a burden on others, having been fiercely independent my entire life.  Someone’s death always makes me reflect on my life and how I interact with others. To the extent possible, my affairs are in order.

Last night sitting in the lobby chatting with neighbors, I watched Arlene’s two adult sons and one daughter-in-law cross the lobby after coming from her apartment. Their body language spoke of their pain and anger, not sadness. My hope is, when my time comes, my family won’t feel the same.

 

6 comments:

Sisty said...

I am sorry, Bruvver. I know that both you & Banner will miss her, not matter what a pain she could be. Take care.

LSP said...

Oh man, I've administered Last Rites to two people this week. One died, a beautiful soul though in dementia. The other? World famous athlete/bronc rider and a good friend who very suddenly went down. It looks, by the grace of God, that he'll pull through. I sure hope so, 71 is young, these days, to die.

Anyways, thanks for this post, "Remember O man that thou art dust..." But let's not forget the dust is shaped by the Cross.

Old NFO said...

Sorry to hear that. And yes, we must confront our own morality, especially as we age. I'm sure you will not be a burden of your own choice.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Sisty
It will be a long time before Banner stops looking at her door when we exit the elevator.

LSP
Mortal we are.

Old NFO
In the words of a song, "You've got to walk that lonesome valley, you've got to walk it by yourself......"

drjim said...

Sorry for the loss in your little community. Sad to hear Banner still looks for her.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

DrJim
Banner stills looks at anyplace he ever found something to eat. There is a big hearted lady in the building who found her. That lady is having difficulty dealing with it.