Thursday, April 7, 2022

F*** You, Tree Huggers

Perhaps a rant follows.

My 1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max pickup has failed the Colorado Emission test now twice. Under the standards prior to January 2022 it would have passed easily. I cannot renew my registration and cannot legally drive it on public roads after the end of this month.

Never designed to run on ethanol contaminated gasoline, two years ago the carburetor was rebuilt. These are very complex carburetors and the only place I found to rebuild it was in Florida. Complex also for removal and installation meant having a professional mechanic do the work. Total cost? Just under $1,000.

OK Superstar car salesman WSF, you spent a grand on a $700 sled? Yes, because I like it. It is the third Mitsubishi Mighty Max I’ve owned.

Now I must spend, and document, $200 in “repairs” to receive a waiver. Problem is, there is very little you can do to a carburetor fed engine to reduce emissions below a certain point.

Dump my problem on someone else? Under Colorado law I will still be responsible for it meeting emission standards.

All of this is because the fucking eco freaks, in their profound wise thinking, want all old vehicles off the highway. This is but one step to eventually make everyone use public transportation.

What frosts my ass is these eco freaks build nothing but manage to live off the sweat of those who do build things. Add to that, their smug self righteousness and belief that their superior knowledge gives them the authority to dictate to us lesser mortals (for our own good, of course).

Now I will once again become a scofflaw. I will find a willing mechanic who will replace my front shocks and give me a receipt for tune up work.

 

10 comments:

Old NFO said...

That works! A point, if I may, THEY have absolutely no problem paying cash for a new car every three years, so they think everyone else can do the same thing... dammit...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
Usually a hybred which has a huge hidden "carbon footprint".

LL said...

I like your solution - deal with the paper and joke 'em if they can't take a f***.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LL
Maybe have one of my friends with mad computer skills counterfeit a receipt.

Greybeard said...

I can resolve your problem if you trust me.
We have NO emission requirements here. I'll buy your truck for $1, license it here, bring it back to you to "borrow"...
"Yes Officer, the truck belongs to a good friend who lives in another State".
Renewing the plates and insuring it will be a slight pain, but at least you can tell CO to "SUCK IT".

jeff d said...

Greybeard's suggestion is legal and used by trailer and exotic car owners across the US. It is a huge industry. Maine and South Dakota are big on it. Don't know about Wyoming or Nebraska. Sorry I have no more info; only spoken to some of the owners who raved about the cost savings.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
I appreciate the offer.I have cousins in Wyoming and in Northwest Colorado (no emissions) that are much closer. My current plan is to scofflaw - manufacture paperwork to satisfy the little pricks.

JeffD
In years past I facilitated registering RVs in Montana. If you see a $300,000 Prevost with Montana plates you can bet the driver isn't a Montana resident.

HMS Defiant said...

Just found your place from the prairie dude.

I have a 22 year old VW jetta that I like out of pure cussedness. It still has its cali plates from when i drove it here to the midwest 12 years ago and every year cali sends me a renewal in the mail and I renew registration on line. Never been smogged here or there but the renewals show up every year and while it costs a bit to reregister it in cali I don't care and avoid all the hassle of bleeding my car at a place designed to part me from my money because my car makes smoke.

I reported back aboard my diesel powered ship in san diego after 4 months in the Gulf and the CO asked me how I dealt with all the fines the ship got from the cal epa for making black smoke. I told him I had no idea but the way we did it before i left was we lit off the mains at night, warmed the diesels up for an hour and shut down so when we did start them at 0730 they just about blipped on and made no smoke detectable at houses on Point Loma.

Good luck in your endeavors. The out of state registration offer sounds good to me.

LSP said...

I scorn those freaks.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

HMS Defiant
I read your blog from time to time. Welcome to mine.

LSP
Scorn? Too mild, loath is my position.