Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Thoughts on Law Enforcement


YouTube has many clips of citizen’s interacting with law enforcement. Many are First Amendment related encounters. For some people, it seems to be a sport. They do highlight LEOs ignorance of laws and aggressive behaviors.

With many relatives in law enforcement, most retired now, I have mixed feelings. Included, at least in my mind, are probation officers.

To me, they fall into two categories. First, and having my highest respect, are peace officers. Second, who do not have my respect, are “cops”. The YouTubers seem to highlight “cops”.

Now I recognize they deal with assholes, often drunken assholes, and need to deal with the situation at hand. It seldom is a win/win situation.

One of my sons had a serious drinking problem resulting in three DUI arrests. During the third arrest, it took six police officers to subdue him. Whatever steps they had to take I support. He was the cause of the problem and their job was to get him off the road.

Along the way, he had a probation officer that got him sober, kept him sober, and made him toe the line. Results? He no longer drinks. He did well enough to be released early from probation. That was eight years ago. Hasn’t had so much as a ticket since.

One cousin was so rank he was booted off the LAPD force. At the time he was in the Rampart Division during the Rodney King era.

Another cousin had a stellar twenty nine year career and is the nicest person you will ever meet. He also, along with a city policeman, rapidly ended a school shooting/hostage situation in New Mexico. No shrinking violet, he. His wife was an effective probation supervisor and straightened out another cousin. (I have living and dead, 33 or so first cousins)

A cousin’s husband was, in the 1970’s, the only probation officer covering a vast portion of Nevada. When a parolee needed arrested, he had to do it, and often without any backup. He did a good job.

My oldest son is a functional autistic but easily manipulated. When he was seventeen he tried to rob a bar. His weapon of choice was a small tree branch. When two Renton, WA police officers entered the bar, he let out a shriek and charged them. In taking him down and cuffing him, he sustained some scrapes and bruises. When I arrived at the station, both officers were nervous. They visible relaxed when I thanked them for simply restraining him. Their response was appropriate and they would probably have been justified in using deadly force. Dim bar and a screaming man with a weapon charging them probably met the criteria for deadly force. They released him to my custody.

A great example of a peace officer was my late brother in law, a county deputy. Once he was tasked with serving over twenty failures to appear warrants. His response was to contact the individuals and advise them that they needed to turn themselves in. He inquired as to them having someone to watch their children and could they work something out with their employer? Did they need a bail bond referral? He also let them know if they didn’t promptly take care of their warrant, he would be back to arrest them. Only two or three didn’t promptly and voluntarily turn themselves in at the county jail.

Before entering the service in 1963 I lived in Denver. At that time, seventy two (10 % of the force) Denver police officers were sent to prison for operating a burglary ring. People, in the know, told me the reason organized crime hadn’t gained much of a foothold in Denver was the police force ran things. The burglars were the ones who couldn’t get into the good stuff.

Other than professional truck drivers, I’ve probably driven far more miles than the average citizen. Regarding speed limits as advisory, I’ve had numerous interactions with law enforcement. I’ve always made sure to take steps to lessen the tension all LEOs have approaching a vehicle. My windows are down, the interior light on at night, hands on the wheel, and license and paperwork readily at hand. Only on a few occasions have I dealt with “badge happy” officers.

Once on Hwy 287 in Oklahoma I was stopped. After the preliminary stuff, the officer said, “Mr. White, it is eight miles to Texas. Do you think you can do the speed limit until you leave Oklahoma? With my affirmation he sent me on my way. A few days later, returning to home, I stopped in Boise City, OK for coffee and bladder relief. Exiting the car I head,

“Mr. White, I’m happy to see you doing the speed limit”. Turning, I saw the patrolman sitting in his cruiser.

“Why officer, I didn’t see you”.

“We hide”, he responded.

That is a peace officer!

This isn’t my first blog on this subject. The search engine, for those interested, will bring up at least four posts.

One of my sister’s adopted daughters had a nearly thirty year career with the Sheriff department. Starting as a jail warden, during a time when females faced many obstacles, she rose to being a patrol sergeant. As a detective she solved a decades old cold case murder. The perpetrator now sits in a Colorado prison.  A slim 5’4”, too many people underestimate her. She has a steel core while remaining as nice a person as you would care to meet.

My principal disdain is reserved for the FBI. As near as I can see, they are political hacks who occasionally solve a crime.  I made a specific post about the FBI and the actions of one of their agents.

https://wellseasonedfool.blogspot.com/search?q=fbi

My good fortune is not dealing with any other feds, excluding the Border booth warmers.

Our society is a better place when we have peace officers and justice. Justice being swift, sure and color blind. Utopia, I know, but working towards that should be our goal, IMO.

As always, YMMV.

 

13 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

I have family and friends who have been deputies. Also a chief.
I have also been the subject of misconduct and outright lying about my driving in court.
I was driving my brothers wife home in his car and when they saw me they assumed I was him (he had a record). But they followed me for a 3 miles while I knew they were behind me having passed them at the donut shop (no kidding).
Said I ran two stops and a railroad crossing and was speeding.
Liars.
I back the blue as a concept, but in practice, I do not trust the next one I come in contact with.
I will say, a couple years ago I was caught speeding. I was given a ticket. It was politely done. As the officer walked back to his car, I called out to him. He knew I had a gun so I don't know what he thought at that point, but I thanked him for doing his job.

drjim said...

I have friends and relatives in LEO. I fully understand the distinction between "Peace Officer" and "Cop". Back when I was growing up, the Will County Sheriff's Department was 99% Peace Officers, while the Joliet Police Department was about 50/50.

RHT447 said...

Fortunately, the great bulk of my interactions with LEO's was as customers when I had my FFL.

A time that was not. Shortly before I enlisted, I fell into a screamin' deal on a used '69 BMW 2002. It was my first introduction to European handling. It resided at my Dad's place while I served my hitch in West Germany. Upon my return home, I had decided it was in need of some upgrades, which I set about myself. 320i take off rims and appropriate rubber, shocks, springs, a Weber carburetor, and a header. It was fun to drive.

So off I went to attend college in Chico, CA. One fine day after a tune-up, I hit the freeway on ramp and lit that little rascal off. Yes, they hide. Never saw him until he slid in six feet off my bumper. Yes, I was doing over 55. Fortunately again, I had the option to take a class one evening to keep the ticket off my record. The instructor for the class was a medically retired CHP officer (injured his back wrestling with a perp). He was hilarious. First question was a show of hands how many in class got a ticket for speeding. "Anybody doing 120?" he asked with a hopeful look on his face. All hands went down. He worked on down, finally getting one hand at 85 mph. He looked completely crestfallen, muttering just loud enough for all to hear, "What a bunch of wimps".

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Ed B
Once had a Montana trooper follow me for better than ten miles before he pulled me over. I had a trailer with no plate but Utah plates on my car. Utah didn't then require a plate on the trailer. He made a big deal of my going 3 whole mph over the limit. I told him the cruise control wasn't that accurate going downhill. He then gave me a fix it postcard - no ticket. Must have been a slow day.

DrJim
Late 60's a friend with a VW bus had a contract to collect 50 rattlesnakes for CSU. We hunted them around Pawnee Buttes and had them in burlap sacks. On Hwy 14 a Weld County deputy pulled us over. We had beards but were not flower children. He insisted on searching the bus. After he opened one bag, he set an Olympic record dash to his patrol car and took off.

RHT447
Took one of those classes for the same reason. Still ended up with 3 points, a fine, and 8 hours of community service. Turned out I wrote a check for 8 hours of minimum wage which took care of the community service.. Since I was driving a 2002 Kia Rio at the time, triple digit speed wasn't possible.

Ed Bonderenka said...

That snake story is hilarious.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Ed B
Best part? No snakes escaped.

Greybeard said...

Good post.
Former Deputy here. Your feelings are spot on.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
Thank you.

LL said...

Cities, counties, states and the feds recruit from the human race.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LL
Isn't that both the problem and solution?

LSP said...

"His weapon of choice was a small tree branch."

Part of me respects that.

Old NFO said...

Concur with all!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
When he was around four we were advised to place him in an institution; that he would never be able to function in society.

Old NFO
Thank you.