Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Tire Chains


Surfing around YouTube channels regarding tire chains I see a glaring omission. Tire pressure.

I grew up driving on the Western Slope of Colorado and have been, over the years, in many situations requiring tire chains. What I see lacking on the YouTube channels showing various traction aids is tire air pressure being discussed.

What follows is the Frank the Tank guide to using tire chains. First, year around have a cigarette lighter powered air compressor. Should be obvious. Slow leak in your tire? Stop as often as needed to reinflate until you can get to a repair facility. Better than walking out of some remote area or breaking down in the ghetto.

Before installing tire chains, let some air out of the tires. How much? Not critical but if you must have a number. 5-10 psi. Put on the chains as tight as you can, move one or two rotations of the tires, then reinflate with your air compressor. This takes all the slack out of the chains and reduces the chances of links breaking.

Chains, cables, or whatever? I prefer chains but have, and have used cables. Cables are better if you need to get across Wyoming on I-80. Chains when things are really nasty. I’ve no experience with “socks” and wouldn’t trust strap on items to do more than get out of a parking lot. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Happy motoring! 

8 comments:

drjim said...

I knew about deflating, installing, and refiling the tires from watching some family members do it. And you just reminded me to put my little air compressor in the Colorado!

Any brand of chain you recommend, or are they all pretty generic?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

DRJIM
Being the cheapskate I am, mine usually come from Thrift stores. At $5-$10, I usually have two sets in my vehicles.

Greybeard said...

Not enough need for chains on our area. Glad for that, but...
Wanted to comment about "low profile tires". I think they are the devils work, in conjunction with Goodyear, Firestone/Bridgestone, and Goodrich.
Son has ruined two tires in Nashville, Tn over the past month at over $100 each.
Potholes.
Taller sidewalls and more suspension travel used to handle that, didn't it?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
Fashion over function, IMO.

Old NFO said...

Yep, had to remind my daughter about the deflation a month or so ago when she got caught on 80 and needed chains to come down the mountain. But she had both chains AND an inflator so she got it done!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
Raise them right and ..........

LSP said...

I like everything about this post. Don't need it here, until you do.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Thank you.