Friday, March 18, 2022

Dogs

March 18 will always be a sad day for me remembering my youngest son’s passing during the night 17-18 and the 3 am call from his widow three years ago.

Travis was a 100% disabled Army Medic whose cumulative injuries caught up with him. He had two children from a previous relationship and married a wonderful woman with two children of her own. Later, they had another child. I will always admire they way they were able to blend into a cohesive loving and caring family.






Waking up with a heavy heart I took Banner outside for his morning constitutional and then back to the apartment. Banner pursuing his usual activities and bounding around always makes me smile and often laugh. This morning was no different and returning to our apartment my heart was much lighter.

I am so glad I have him in my life.




8 comments:

Ami said...

I was actually recalling your loss this week. I've never met anyone from your family... don't even know you, but we've waved at each other on the 'net for many years. I know that time eases some things, and I hope that's true, but I just can't imagine.

It must bring you a great deal of happiness to remember him as he was. I know you're very proud of the man he became. He sounds like one of the best.

I'm glad you have Banner to keep you company.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Ami
Thank you.

Ed Bonderenka said...

A dog can never fill the place of a son, but I'm glad you have one good enough to ease the pain.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

True words. While not planned, my dog looks very much like his dog, "Deuce".

Old NFO said...

Remember the good! And you have grandchildren to carry on the family name and history!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
Good advice. When he decided on going into the service, we sat down one on one and had a long conversation. As a father, I didn't want him taking on the most dangerous job in the military (Medic) but it was his passion and his decision. This is not just the father talking. While he was there, he was the best damned Medic in the Army and there are a lot of people still greeting the sun because of him. Later, until his leg gave out, he repeated as a EMT.

He has a son in the South Carolina National Guard, a 5th generation soldier. He has a daughter who may be headed for the Naval Academy and is a current superstar in her high school NROTC.

This is all his legacy. Mine is raising a son who could do it.

Greybeard said...

Has to hurt.
I try to take Gen. Patton's words to heart-
I'm just glad our country still produces heroes like this.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
The hurt is always present but is dealt with. As to Gen Patton's words, they also apply to you.