Sunday, February 7, 2021

Another COVID-19 Casualty


 

Great American Horse Drive, 2nd year in a row cancelled.

https://www.sombrerohorses.com/horse-drive/

Our extended family, father’s side, goes back four to five generations in Moffat County and the town of Maybell, CO.






It has become a tradition to gather for the drive, visit the private family cemetery 12 miles West, and often bury cremains. Cancelled once again.

Damn, damn, damn!


My father’s grave. Hanging from the juniper tree over his headstone is a strip of velvet from a deer scraping his horns. Nothing would have pleased my father more than a deer standing on his grave. He would have laughed and laughed.


6 comments:

drjim said...

I'm really sorry to hear that, WSF. I know it's a big part of your family.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Thank you. With the clan scattered all over the country, it was an annual rally point.

Old NFO said...

Sorry to hear that. Can't help but wonder if your dad might have 'goosed' that deer from the beyond! :-)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
Goosed with a .30-.06 most likely.

LSP said...

That's odd, as I read NFO's comment I thought "30-06." And there it was. Huh. But what great photos and too bad about the Drive. The level of propaganda driven fear is... bizarre. OK, I know they were desperate to get rid of the evil Orange Man in the US, but still, it's a phenomenon across the western world. That doesn't speak well for us at all and it's a far cry from the spirit of your people who pioneered(?) the land you pictured.

Dammit, now I want to get on a horse and ride. Hmmmm.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
The horse ride is around $3,500 to participate. My sister and I did it, on a much smaller scale, with her leading, me riding drag, and Sport the border collie doing most of the work.

My Dad bought a Model 94 .30-30 around 1950. That rifle put meat on our table for many years until he sold it, not gave it, to me. He ended up with a Model 70 .30-06 with a scope and hunted with it for years. The first rifle I bought was a .30-40 Krag sold off by the local VFW when they upgraded to 1903 Springfields.

In our particular culture firearms were mere tools and we didn't own many. A .22 and an elk rifle; what more was needed? We weren't bird hunters. I've had a few handguns over the years until my boating accident on Horsetooth Reservoir. In handguns, I prefer simple, a Charter Arms .44 Special 5 rounds 2 3/4" barrel and a NAA .22 Mag 5 round miniature revolver.

Might not be anyone else's desired armory but is what fits my skill set and perceived use.