Saturday, January 9, 2021

Getting Real


 

By most accounts, there are 300,000,000 firearms in the hands of USA citizens. So what? Unless they are used, they are just so many inanimate objects.  There is no compelling, to me, evidence that the owners will use them.

I’ve served in the US Army but never saw combat. Did have a few stray rounds from East Germany come across the Fulda Gap that passed very, very close. Collateral damage, if you will, from the East Germans firing at “escaping criminals”.

Men I’ve talked to who have been in combat tell me it is the most exhausting thing you will ever do. Even the hardest training we ever did and it was damn hard, let me tell you,  doesn’t come  near  the real thing. At 76 I’m going to do combat? Hell, I have trouble walking my dog 1 ½ miles on sidewalks. Should I know people who will go to war, I would never burden them with worrying about me.

Over the years I’ve stayed clear of “milita” types. Too loose security and too much b.s. to my salesman ears. Give credit to the government employees who have infiltrated these groups and rendered them impotent. I don’t approve but have grudging respect for work well done.

So, what can I do? What can other civilians who want to join the fight do? How can we contribute? Damned if I know, but I’m looking for some leadership and some examples. Finally, what am I personally willing to give, to contribute, to anything but peaceful resistance?

For me, this is a time for some deep soul searching.



As always, YMMV

8 comments:

drjim said...

Yep, me too.

The Big Cities will probably go up in flames this summer, or earlier, depending on the weather. My son is planning on moving here in June. He doesn't have a lot of stuff, far less than I did at his age. He'll rent a trailer, fill it up, and head out here just like he and I did three years ago.
My poor sister and brother-in-law are basically immobile and stuck in Chicago. He has a lot of good kids from his first marriage, some vets, and a couple of cops, IIRC, so they should be OK.

Navy91 said...

Well, I guess that makes three of us. Early fifties with a bad back and ticker. Not bad enough to keep me out of work, but no way in the world I can do protesting or more. So, what to do? Most likely nothing. Like you said, soul searching time. Frankly, it really frosts my shorts, but maybe it's just keeping me from doing something stupid or futile.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
Good new about your son.
Navy91
There will be opportunities present themselves in time where our limitations won't prevent positive action. What is required is my biggest shortcoming; patience.

LSP said...

Well said.

I can still run around (just) but I'm not kidding myself... and, to be fair, it's not my job description.

That in mind, I'd get hard to work on the prayer front -- there's power in that, seriously.

Sermon over :)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Amen!

Old NFO said...

Going low key, and will stay that way unless I'm forced to 'participate'. I'm not as old as you are, but I'm stove up, so yes, deep soul searching time. And I'm praying too.

Howard Brewi said...

I had a comment started and backed up because of opseck. We keep having things we talk about on the phone show up in places like Amazon adds and we don’t use any voice activated stuff. I’m in worse shape than you because of back fusions with further decay so I’m good for a couple hundred yards. I live in rural Alaska so I hope I can at least provide a refuge for the kids, grand kids and great grand kids if the refuse hits the fan in their villages. I’m only 71.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
"Participate"!!! Let us hope not. Talking to a neighbor tonight, we agree the current situation is akin to 9/11.

HB
Thanks for your comment. From my experience working in Alaska (40 years ago, damn how time flies) your state has a greater sense of community, IMO. Rural? Subsistence hunting/fishing/foraging may be available.