Saturday, August 1, 2020

Tough Times


Spotted this mobile home and some memories came flooding in. At one point in time, my parents, little sister, and I lived in one like that, size and color too, for a year or so.

The old saw, “Tough times don’t last, tough people do”, applied to my parents.  Around 1949, my father got hired by the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad. We became railroad gypsies, living in “house cars”, that is to say railcars made into mobile houses. Some were quite nice, others were Spartan at best.  At various times we lived, along the tracks in Colorado; the North Denver yards, Plainview, Rollinsville, Pinecliff, East Portal, Kremmling, Tabernash, Toponas and Steamboat Springs.

 My sister, who is nine years younger than me, was born while we lived in East Portal.

The railroad operated on the seniority system. After a time, my father was promoted to Section Foreman. The management was always consolidating sections. A section would be consolidated, everyone “bumped” down, and everyone moved. In ten years, my father never went higher than next to last and many times he went back to being a section hand. That was the reason we lived in that dreadful mobile home. Kremmling was where he could go.

The Section Foreman was provided with a home by the railroad. We were in a nice home in East Portal when my father got “bumped”. What was opened to him was the #1 section hand in Kremmling. We lived there for a summer and winter when he was able to become the Section Foreman in Toponas, and later, Steamboat Springs.

Kremmling was dreadful. Mosquitoes as bad as Alaska. My sister, still in diapers, and I shared a small bed in the rear while my parents had a fold out couch in the front. It wasn’t a fun time!

Steamboat had better opportunities for my parents and they were able to leverage their “ranch raising” to better jobs with summer camps and private schools. They were able to buy a small ranch. They still worked “town jobs” and, in later years, made a lot of money in real estate sales when the “ski boom” took Steamboat from a 2,000 population town to a world class skiing destination. 

My sister had the good fortune of growing up in Steamboat, attending school K -12. She took her horse riding to a high level, becoming, age 13, the youngest certified riding instructor in the country while working at the Perry Mansfield Camp.


She was also a gifted dancer. While not enrolled in the dance programs, the instructors would coach her on the side.

Steamboat for me was a place I came to hate. Always the new kid, and never one to kiss anyone’s ass, I was accustomed to fighting whoever was the school bully. Him, a 6th grader and me a 2nd grader? No hesitation, fight on!  Steamboat was different; I always had to fight two or three at a time. That finally died down but I was never accepted. What I did develop was complete self reliance and trained myself to not need anyone.

What I gained from that upbringing was the willingness to tackle any kind of job head on, with no fear of failure. Fail? Fuck it, what’s next?

This blog gets read, from time to time, by members of my extended family. Some of the younger ones may gain something useful from it. Hope the rest of you weren’t bored.

For the record, while I was growing up, my parents were honest, sober, hard working responsible people. They walked the walk. (Poaching deer doesn't count)

15 comments:

drjim said...

Your parents did what they had to do to take care of their children.

Nope, "poaching" a few deer doesn't even show up on the radar!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

One advantage of working on the railroad were all the otherwise road less areas no game warden would venture.

LSP said...

Respect. But it sounds an awful lot like white privilege, WSF!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
Definitely white privilege. The oppressed minority was the Mexicans. Very few black folks around the places we lived. My first knife fight was when I was five. The Mexican kid was eight. Still have the scar on my left hand. Wonder if his testicles ever developed?

LL said...

Your parents were people of their era. I know railroad workers now who aren't subject to the same conditions. I don't know many people today, who would take jobs that are as tough and unrelenting as those that your parents fought through.

MattB said...

Hey those deer were eating grass that our cows could eat and the government wasn't paying for their upkeep.

Fredd said...

My dad was a railroad guy, too. He was a telegrapher for the Southern Pacific RR. One of his gigs was in Cruzatte, OR, a town way up in the Cascades which no longer exists. I was too young to remember those days (1 or 2 years old).

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LL
As I've gotten older, I appreciate more what they faced and overcome. I can say the same for their siblings.

MattB
Just the occasional culling.

Fredd
I like that area.

Old NFO said...

My grandfather on my mother's side was a RR engineer. They lived all over Texas for years as he moved up in seniority until he became an investigator.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

OldNFO
Even today it is industry that makes putting down roots hard.

drjim said...

My Mother's Father was a RR guy. He was killed in a traffic accident while on-the-road, and the RR had the gall to charge them shipping to get his body back home.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

DrJim
That was low!

drjim said...

I think they said it was because he wasn't killed on-the-job. He was walking back to his hotel after having dinner, and was struck down by a drunk driver.

Yeah, really considerate of them.....

I never knew either of my Mother's parents, as they'd both passed away before I was born.

Sisty said...

Many folks were fed during hard times by our father & his "harvesting" of deer. Sometimes, that was they only food that they had. I am sure that they felt very blessed when a deer carcass showed up on their back porch one morning. WSF & I grew up on deer and elk. The small school district at Pinecliff served a lot of deer to the students. Dad would find an injured deer on the tracks, gut and skin it and bring it to the lunchroom ladies. Nobody went hungry as long as Dad had bullets.

Our parents and their siblings never learned the meaning of the words - quit or can't. Neither did WSF or I or most of our cousins.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

That man used about one box of bullets a year. Best shot, at game, I ever saw. You and I were good, but not to his standard.