Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Aging


A neighbor is becoming a nuisance, ringing my doorbell daily if not more often. Poor soul is in early stages of dementia/ Alzheimer’s.  She gets the correct apartment number, but the wrong floor, of her friend.

This building has 92 apartments with a minimum age to rent of 62. The on-site maintenance man is the only resident younger than 62. We have residents in their 80’s. Other than the lady ringing my doorbell, most are still mentally sharp. There are lots of wheelchairs and walkers.

Living around these residents keeps me both humble and grateful. Humble as I see folks dealing with their problems. Grateful I’m still in reasonably good health. Mental? Opinions vary.

Remember your school years hanging around the popular kids so as to be part of the group? The only thing that has changed is my dog is now the popular kid. He gets petted several times a day by as many as a dozen people. He graciously accepts the attention.

I avoid all the cliques while remaining friendly with everyone.

In the car biz we often spoke of, “A checkup from the neck up”. To that end, this is what I see each time I lock my apartment door.

We had a few thunderstorms pass today that went a long ways to clearing some smoke from the air. Saw the ¼ moon this evening and hope to see the mountains in the morning.

The state of our country troubles me greatly. Will things settle down after the election?  In the here and now it is still arise, and start putting one foot in front of the other. Tomorrow is a 375 mile round trip assignment and today was a 136 mile round trip assignment. I’m not complaining, I want the work.

8 comments:

Old NFO said...

Stay busy and stay productive. THAT is the key. And Banner helps!!!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Banner is a big help.

drjim said...

I saw that little sign posted on FakeBook a few days ago. One of the few good things I've seen there lately.

Agree 100% with NFO, staying productive keeps you sharp.

And having met Banner, I can verify you two are a good fit!

Brig said...

Being busy and productive is good for us old folks.

LSP said...

I agree with NFO and drim.

Door Knockers? You must make a film, ask LL for help, he's a script writer. I'll help too, joint effort.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Brig
1970 I ran an operation that used drivers and had an 82 year old man as an employee. Age is a number.

drjim
Banner has his moments but I'm grateful he is in my life.

LSP
Pass don't like working with people that much.

Greybeard said...

"Age is a number".
Amen.

One of my Flight Nurses told me the most important thing about avoiding cardiac trouble later in life is to "Choose your parents carefully."
Sometimes you are simply screwed.

But you're doing the important thing.
My bride and I walk at least 3 miles daily. I like to think I am physically and mentally younger than my 73 years. I'll lot others confirm or deny.
But I still enjoy life. And I'm not confused about which doorbell I'm ringing.
Thank you Lord.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
The big killer genetically, both sides, is cancer.