Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Saratoga Road Trip


Business took me to Saratoga, WY 10/1/2109. I decided to take Hwy 130 out of Laramie via the Snowy Range. Saves 20+ miles but ads a lot of (worthwhile) time. The sights are worth it.


Saratoga has some transient residents.


Due to the several hot springs in the area, the town was named after the better known Eastern spa.

My maternal grandfather was a rancher in the Walden, CO area when he was brought low by arthritis. He was taken to Saratoga on a stretcher to the springs. He walked out.  Shortly, he became the manager of the bath house. Later, his father-in-law bought his ranch and helped him buy a ranch outside of Saratoga. Granddad continued to bathe daily in the springs for several years which allowed him to lead a productive life.

My mother, a Wyoming sheepherder, married a Colorado cowboy which allows my sister and I to say we are the result of a mixed marriage. WWII was on, my father was shipping overseas, so my mother returned to Saratoga where I was born.

Lots of wealthy people come to Saratoga for the springs, hunting, golf, and trophy fishing on the North Platte River. Not unusual to see private jets at the airport.


For the history buffs, a couple of pictures. The brass placard for the Overland Trail has long since been stolen.



The North Platte a few miles downstream from town. Also the local “necking” hangout. Wonder how many pregnancies’ started there?

Going West from Laramie you begin to approach the Medicine Bow Mountains.


Some ferocious winds in those places.

And tragedy.


I need a wide angle lens or a video camera.










Looking ESE toward Colorado.

The fall colors are just starting.

The backside of the range is unremarkable.

My faithful road warrior.

Should your travels take you across Wyoming’s Interstate 80, budget some time (in the summer) to take in the Snowy Range. It won’t add any miles, 
just memories.

8 comments:

Old NFO said...

Looks like a great trip, and a visit 'home' if you will... :-D

Sisty said...

Outstanding pics as usual. Makes me want to go "soak" in the springs.

LL said...

Soaking in the springs would feel particularly good at this moment in time. I have a large soaking tub at the White Wolf Mine, which is sort of the next best thing, but not the whole experience. I love road trips for their own sake. A restless spirit?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
Saratoga holds a place in my heart.

Sisty
The soak was great!

LL
The springs are laden with mineral but don't "smell". Usually I sink to my eyebrow when I float. There I float nearly horizontal. You can choose from 101° to 118°.

OldAFSarge said...

Breathtaking country, I miss the Rockies.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

OldAFSarge
I've been in a lot of places but always seem to come "home".

Ami said...

Gorgeous scenery, makes me miss the mountains so much.
I'd love to try the hot springs, too.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

They are called the Hobo Springs and are free! The pool isn't and an expensive resort also has hot springs.