Sunday, October 20, 2019

Foreman Material




Foreman Material

As someone who spent many years in supervisory roles, I am fascinated by the interactions of the truck drivers I shuttle to the oilfields.

There is no direct supervision of these drivers. By the very nature of their work, they must be able to operate independently and isolated for much of their time. They are trained, and have detailed instructions as to how to perform their tasks. Via tablets, they have contact with a dispatcher (one of whom is a twit, 1st Class!).

It is when circumstances fall outside normal operating procedures that foreman material emerges; those individuals who take charge and make decisions while the rest just go along. Worse, they wait for the take charge types. Not for them to open their actions to criticism.

Age and experience doesn’t seem to matter. Often it is one of the younger drivers who “takes charge”.

What are the requirements to be a foreman, you ask (or already know)?

1.    Recognize and analyze the issue/problem.
2.    Come up with a plan of action.
3.    Implement the plan.
4.    Accept the consequences to his decision and plan.

Management should prize these people and not take cheap shots (and ego building) criticizing them.

In my supervisory role, I would often take this approach.

“Joe, I appreciate you stepping up and handling the problem. It saved all of us some time and expense. If something like this happens again, don’t hesitate to take action. You might consider ……… if it happens again. That said, thank you for doing what you did”.

Perhaps the hardest part of my shuttle van driving is staying in my  lane.  WSF, “You are just a driver. SHUT UP!”

As always, YMMV!

9 comments:

Brig said...

Spot on with what it takes.
You are much better than I am in controlling the urge to comment...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Brig
It is a struggle. I look around and see many low cost improvements. Their shop practices are a disaster. A truck not running is lost revenue. As my late father was fond of saving, "Grease is cheaper than machinery". Today he would add,
Preventive maintenance is cheaper than downtime".

Stay in your lane, WSF!

Old NFO said...

Yeah, age and experience are sadly lacking in management these days. If it's not on the computer, they are lost... And PMs save a LOT of money vs. their costs and downtime!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
They don't even have any squawks written down. every driver has a tablet they enter problems along with their production. Cheap flat screen up in the shop, squawks displayed, and accountability established as an example.

Fredd said...

I am curious, Fool: could you tell us of an example of perhaps a disastrous episode where a young, dumb and full of cum driver took charge and the results of said 'executive decisions' made by a 20-year old genius?

Your post here just provides a generic description of your sub-optimal environs.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Fredd
No, but let me share the words of a boss I had who, in a different context, laid out a philosophy for change.

"If I replace you, one of three things will happen. He will do a worse job, about as good a job, or a better job. I'll go to Vegas with those odds any day".

The poorly explained point of my post is to cherish people who will make decisions instead of sitting as things go to shit.

Fredd said...

Yes, I get your point. In my military days, that was SOP: when confronted with a change in the situation that blows up your well laid plans, make a decision. Make a good one, make a shitty one, but just make one. Do nothing and you die.

LL said...

Today, I enjoy sitting back and watching the Chinese fire drill. Eventually I ask, "Are you morons finished?"

"What ever do you mean, LL?"

"A trained chimp would do a better job than you're doing."

"What should I do?" (no, they never did have a clue)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LL
Someone less diplomatic than WSF? Who knew?