Sunday, June 3, 2018

Political Rant - Location Specific



Blue Dog Democrats have a hard time finding any Democrat they can stomach voting for. Jeb! Republicans are even harder to like. What to do? Study what is available and make a choice. If you don’t vote, you are making a choice, a gutless, pathetic choice IMO.

Anybody that has registered a car or renewed license plates knows how frustrating it can be. Where I live, Weld County, there are three offices. I find they run about as smooth as you can expect.

Just once, I would like to hear a candidate say,

“The current office holder has done an adequate job. I think I can improve on that by …………..”

What we get?

"The reason that I'm running for Weld County Clerk and Recorder is because I love Weld County, but you know what? Things need to change," Velasquez said. "There are a lot of things that we need to change in Weld County."
Velasquez is the governor-appointed Weld County public trustee, and she's running as a Democrat against incumbent Republican Carly Koppes.
What I hear?

“Vote for me because I’m a Mexican and we deserve to have more of us running things”.

Yeah, WSF, you are a stone racist. Doesn’t mean I’m not correct in my assessment, does it?

Two Democrats are in a primary contest to face Rep. Ken Buck (R) for Colorado’s 4th Congressional District, a fairly reliable Republican district.

The local paper put some questions to them.

QUESTION: WHAT ARE THE BIGGEST ISSUES FACING CD4, AND THE COUNTRY?
Kohne: Kohne said the U.S. shouldn't and can't focus on anything else until it takes care of healthcare. "Many of us, if not most of us, are one accident away from bankruptcy," 
McCormick: McCormick, likewise, said she's focused on healthcare. She said people are concerned with high premiums, high deductibles and general unaffordability of the U.S. healthcare system

I might be getting old and senile but I seem to remember eight years of Obama/Reed/Pelosi leadership. I should vote for another Democrat to “fix” healthcare?

Nowhere did either of these two offer a specific plan.

Kohne offends me with another snide remark regarding President Trump.

Kohne: Kohne said Congress has fewer veterans than at any time since the post-Vietnam War era. "The president's never seen a war; he's never smelled a war; he doesn't know what one looks like," Kohne said. Kohne said we need more people in Congress who can be a check on the White House, and he favors diplomacy over war.

Yeah, dude, you were down range. Thank you for your service. If you were an Infantry officer instead of a civil affairs officer in the Army Reserve, I might be impressed. All of us who served put our asses on the line, and that is worthy of respect, but implying you are a grizzled combat veteran isn’t.

Recently I posted about neighbors stopping cold a $70 million concrete and asphalt plant. Interesting editorial in the local rag.


Another local political race I’m studying is the district I live in. Again, from the  local rag.

Colorado House District 50 hasn't had an open seat this millennium, and a Republican hasn't won the mostly Greeley seat since 2002.
This year, two Democratic candidates, including a former District 50 representative, will face off in a primary to see who gets to attempt to keep the Democratic streak alive.
Haven’t heard what the GOP candidate, if there is one, has to say. My inclination is to vote for the former District 50 guy. He has shown the ability to get things done. 

His opponent comes across, to me, as a millennial (P)regressive. The millennial part doesn’t bother me, nor the gender, but (P)regressive????

Statewide, there is a nasty primary fight for the Governor’s seat. (Thank God for term limits. Good by Governor Wishywashy). The nasty is, of course, the Democrats. The GOP is far too dignified. They prefer back room back stabbing to public squabbling. Read all about it here.



Should be an interesting summer. 



No comments: