Thursday, October 6, 2011

Electrons - Friend or Foe?



My daughter in law (FDIL) keeps telling me electrons are my friends. She is my go to person for tech stuff. Electrons may be my friends but I’m very suspicious of the wisdom in molesting them.

Past postings have referred to a Honda store where I sold used cars in the mid 90’s.

This store was built to mimic a Nordstrom store. Every conceivable upgrade and computer system was built in. The service department operated 24/7. The place cost $80,000 a month to operate.

The sales staff were recruited along the Yuppie college graduate profile and were expected to dress accordingly. The owners still had used cars to sell; the dark side of the dealership. They recruited (with substantial cash incentives) a few proven hard nosed used car salesmen, among them, myself. I didn’t fit in well but invested in the wardrobe and cleaned up my language.

Everything revolved around the computer system. At every turn, you logged on and updated your status. First problem, I was issued employee number 666. May have been appropriate but put off some customers. Was told the computer wouldn’t allow them to change the number. My response, terminate me and then rehire me with a different number. After much bitching by the administration, this was done.

Some genius decided all of us needed to be computer operators. You had to take, and pass, periodic tests, on the computer. If not, you couldn't’t log on.
So one day I am taking a test and came upon baud rates. WTF? Called over one of the managers. “What is this b__s___”? “Well, if the computer goes down you need to know how to restart it.” My response. “If the ____ computer goes down, I’ll call some computer nerd. I’m done, I’m not doing anymore tests.” “But you have to finish! You have the computer tied up and nobody can use it until you finish.” “Yeah, you better get somebody here to finish the test, I’m done.” And so it was. Never took another test.

Why wasn’t I fired? Try 20 cars sold per month with an average gross profit of $1,500 after pack. Was I resented by most managers? Probably, but didn’t care.

One wonderful day the best money making psycho manager I ever worked for called. “Yeah, I’m back from Montana, and running ________ Ford. Get your ass over here.” Ah, old school, trucks, Fords, Ford Red Carpet Leases, huge used inventory, and a manager with his shit together, drug/alcohol issues under control, and a deal working machine! Hog heaven.

For your amusement, my favorite scene from my favorite movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUs1HZIrMMQ&feature=related

With computers, I wanted to be able to do two things. One, work deals (price, trade, down payment, monthly payment) and two, enter information and print paperwork. On those occasions I was forced at gun point to be the finance manager, learned what I needed. As to the rest, we could hire competent computer operators fair easier (and cheaper) than good salespeople. As the years passed, I learned more. Internet advertising, web sites, etc., made learning a necessity. I still am not a fan; just a user. I still don’t know baud rates from gigashits, nor do I want to.

The last time my cell phone died, I was en route to see youngest son, FDIL, grandkids, and grand dog (not necessarily in that order; it is a package deal). FDIL took me to the Verizon store and selected a phone for me. Took a few minutes until the salesman got it through his arrogant head his sole function in the transaction was paperwork. Phone is still in service and I can actually use 15% of it’s capabilities, thanks to FDIL’s torture, er, tutoring.

No comments: