Friday, November 18, 2022

What Winter?


We received our first snow that didn’t immediately melt away. Climate Change! Raise taxes! Reality is we need a lot more moisture for next summer’s needs. Will we get it? This area is a semi arid high desert.

Banner

He isn’t pleased with the temperature and snow. 17° on the balcony and overcast skies keeps him from his morning nap in the sun. Snow gets between his toes. The up side for me is he quickly takes care of business outside.

Wyoming

They are having a harder winter with all three Interstate Highways (I-80, I-25, I-90) seeing multiple truck wrecks and intermittent closures. Many of the secondary highways have been worse.

Parking Lot Hazard

Windows 11

The struggle continues with myself inflicted aggravation. My HP with Windows 7 is going on ten years and will, at some point, die. Not being DrJim and other tech savvy people, I won’t try to fix it.

I bit the bullet and bought another HP with Windows 11 and am not having fun learning how to use it. Worse, I’m now forced to read instructions! Bah humbug!

Life has taught me it is best to have your backup in place before you need it. As my blog title indicates I too often ignore those lessons.

 But, but, the “Narrative”!!!!

Didn’t expect this from M.I.T., one of Satan’s stepchildren.

https://scitechdaily.com/stabilizing-feedback-confirmed-by-mit-scientists-earth-can-regulate-its-own-temperature-over-millennia/

As always, YMMV

7 comments:

RHT447 said...

Ain't technology wunerful?

I ran both Win XP and Win 7 until the wheels fell off. Still have a version of Win 7 on the PC in my man cave/garage, but all I use it for is occasional streaming of music from Accuradio. I have it connected to a mini-stereo.

May the Saints protect us from NEW! and IMPROVED! For awhile my desktop was still Win 7 while my wife's (newer) laptop was Win 10. She would ask me for assistance with something Win related, and inside of five minutes I would be drooling on myself because the layout and terms were so different.

We were most fortunate when we live in Chico, CA (college town) to have a computer store whose equal I have yet to find. I was on a first name basis with the repair techs. When it was finally time for Win 10, I called that shop. "Hey, remember me? I'm the guy who moved to Texas". They remembered. Had them build me a new tower with an SSD and Win 10 installed and ship it to me. Then I connected the old HHD, enabled remote control for the shop, and over the phone they walked me through transferring my files and data.

LL said...

Shouldn't Banner have his own quilted doggy jacket? Maybe some dire warning embroidered on the side about a vicious dog on the prowl?

Sisty said...

LL

Banner does have a parka type coat. The warning should be embroidered on WSF's coat...not Banner.

Anonymous said...

The warning should be embroidered on WSF's coat...not Banner.

Snort... Yep, dogs and men tend to be 'quick' to do their business when it's cold... Re Windoze, when my 7pro machine died, I kicked it to the curb and went a Macs exclusively...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LL/Sisty/Anon

Banner's heavy duty bright red duck cloth fleece lined jacket comes out when the temps dip into single digits. Takes a couple of minutes to put it on him. One neighbor has given him reindeer horns with flashing lights for the Christmas season. Quite "Dashing".

He has a sweater for cooler temps and the ladies here in the building don't hesitate to tell me when he should be wearing it.

RHT447
The computer repair place I use, about the only game in town, is mediocre. I do have most of what AVG offers installed which has protected me from most viruses. My favorite program is Boost by Reason which really speeds up my computer.

Greybeard said...

The "truck accessory" cartoon made me wince. Our receiver, capable of handling our 8K-pound RV, is immovable.
Ouch.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
Been bit more than once.