Thursday, November 24, 2022

Long Day Trip


Banner containing his excitement

With Sisty off in Nevada, he went on a business trip with me. Usually he spends the day with Aunty when I have a 300+ mile day to cover.

Neighborhood Watch

Brush, CO in an isolated neighborhood across the tracks, at a home with nobody answering the door, I taped the envelope to the door (standard procedure), and took my pictures. As I walked back to the car. across the street a man stood in his open garage holding a rifle, muzzle down. A new experience for me, I avoided eye contact, promptly left. and waited until I was out of sight to make my tablet entries.

Too Popular

Next stop, in a town with fewer than 500 residents, two other people were ahead of me at my assignment. My envelope was placed next to a utility shut off notice and one from the USPS.

Busy

The economy sucks, at least in my area. My assignment portal will be clear then, the next time I look, a dozen or more new assignments have appeared.

I run about a 40% contact rate. Assignments where I must make face to face contact, or three attempts, pay more. With the proliferation of doorbell cameras, contact is becoming harder. They see a big dude wearing a badge on a lanyard and holding a clipboard on their doorstep. OK with me, especially when they use the intercom feature. I get to mark those down as a contact.

Frequent Flyers

The assignments where I’ve been two or three times already over the past months are becoming more common. Still, according to the newspaper reports, foreclosures are down in Colorado. Too bad the number of re-financed mortgages isn’t reported.

The envelopes I deliver have one basic message. “Hey you, quit ignoring your obligation”. All offer a chance to apply for forbearance and/or re-financing.

Impending decision

Will I continue with this work? I’m concerned about my night vision and driving. On the 30th I have an appointment at a vision clinic for a comprehensive eye exam. Depending on what they find, I may need to curtail my night driving. The bad thing about getting old is no replacement parts.

As always, YMMV

ADDENDUM

Colorado Springs shooter. The press is using his “preferred” pronouns. How woke! Fuck him, he doesn’t deserve any consideration, IMO.


14 comments:

LL said...

I might be able to find you replacement parts (Igor style) if you aren't too picky. A lot of the residents there are woke.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LL
Prefer to buy American but thank you!

Ed Campbell said...

Our papers don't allude to it either but just listening to conversations in the local diner it appears our local economy is shrinking also.

Hear hear on the Colorado Springs shooter. Why we have to cater and adjust our perception of reality to people who are so mentally ill they don't know their gender and don't know they are sick I will never know.

Have a good Thanksgiving.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Ed C
Same to you, Thanksgiving.

LSP said...

Be careful out there.

Was the shooter trolling? His mother called him "he"... Doesn't excuse him, obviously, whatever the case. Happy Thanksgiving.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

LSP
And a happy Thanksgiving to you! As to the neighbor, "Don't go bothering something that ain't bothering you".

Old NFO said...

Do what you have to... Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Calm and relaxing Thanksgiving. Hope yours went well.

Greybeard said...

Heard on one news broadcast this week that 60% of car owners are behind on their payments.
Don't know if I believe that. Maybe they're waiting on Joey to dismiss their obligation?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
I don't know. My wholesale friends aren't seeing a lot of repos at the auctions.

Wild, wild west said...

The lack of repos at auction are true evidence of p-Resident Brandon's economic policies bearing fruit for the American people.

Now, about that bridge I have for sale.....

It's an interesting data point, though, and one I wasn't expecting. Having dinner with a couple in the quick-credit auto business in a week, I'll get their reaction and report back.

A buddy of mine used to refer to those as "$50 down and $50 a week for the rest of your life" but that's been some time ago and presumably the numbers are higher now.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

W.w.w
There is a glut of cars no used dealer wants. Many YouTube videos detail various GM, Ford, and whoever Chrysler is now called that are so expensive to repair their value is nill. Most end up at buy here/pay here lots.

My wholesale friends are buying a lot of trucks directly from fleet operators.

Way back when I was in charge of used inventory no European trade in stayed in our inventory. Money pits, one and all. We did keep VWs because enough fools wanted them.

Greybeard said...

WSF, if you're not familiar with Scotty Kilmer, look him up on YouTube... an entertaining "shade tree mechanic", except he's made millions working on other's cars.
He DESPISES BMW's, Mercedes, Audis, Chrysler/Fiat stuff, and most of the GM line.
He's a Toyota/Honda fan, and the only domestic machinery he speaks well of is Ford.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
I've watched some of his stuff. He isn't always correct but food for thought. Someone I think does a better job. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JQzoMH1lGo&ab_channel=CarWizard