Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Civil War


Upcoming civil war is a common topic on the internet as people become angrier with those in power, elected or behind the scenes. I anticipate we will have violent protests in our future. The question I have is, “What is civil war?”

From Wikipedia:

civil war or intrastate war[a] is a war between organized groups within the same state (or country). The aim of one side may be to take control of the country or a region, to achieve independence for a region, or to change government policies

I don’t see this happening, especially along the lines of the American Civil War/War of Northern Aggression. The key?  Organized groups.

Give the FBI credit. They can’t seem to find auto theft rings, catalytic theft enablers, Islamic jihadists, or Chinese spies but  excel in infiltrating groups opposed to government interference in our lives. That makes organized groups, beyond very small cadres, ineffective.

What seems to have been the common element in past civil insurrections are one or more leaders people will rally around. The closest in my lifetime is Donald Trump.

What are more likely are individuals, or very small cadres, conducting sniping and bombing campaigns. MANPADS vs private jets? Old fashion mortars? Is Martha’s Vineyard within range of a mortar on the mainland? That would ruin a garden party. Pain, suffering, and death among the presently coddled elites might change some attitudes.

At this point the only seemingly directed mobs are BLM and Antifa who are most likely government sponsored and protected.

The late Mike Vanderboegh wrote clearly on this subject with his blog, Sipsey Street Irregulars.

http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/

Yesterday the barber I visit cut my hair. He is from Iran and I inquired about his take on the current riots there. He is of the opinion that the exiles who want back in power are behind them; that there are no leaders, and that the rioters won’t change anything.

Who am I to say he is right or wrong? What I heard echoed was a sentiment many in this country have about our lives.

To sum up, I expect the future will bring more pissing and moaning but no civil war. Unrest, rioting, vast increases in crime, and hand wringing by politicians, yes. Civil war, no.

Feel free to express your definition of civil war.

As always, YMMV.

13 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

One risks "Insurrection!" to advocate for such or portray a favorable attitude towards it.
Our American Revolution was more rightly a Civil War with outside interference.
Have you read People's Republic?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

By Kelly Turnbull? I'll see if the local library has a copy. Amazon only offers it on Kindle (which I don't like).

Ed Bonderenka said...

Kelly is the protagonist. Col Kurt Schlichter authored.
Addicting series.

drjim said...

I'm sure we'll see some "non-violent" protests this Summer where the usual suspects will burn and loot with impunity.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

DrJim
You are most likely correct. Probably Democrat run cities.

Ed B
Ordered it via my local library.

Old NFO said...

The games are being played, and the left thinks it's a rheostat, not an off/on switch!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
Not arguing. So far, the bastards are riding the river of discontent. Will there be rapids ahead?

Ed Bonderenka said...

Biden says we threaten "Democracy"
I expect Martial Law.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Ed C
We are a Constitutional Republic, not a "Democracy" as the (P)regressives like to shout from the rooftops. My response to those who say Democracy is the will of the majority is, "So is gang rape".

Greybeard said...

If I decide to go to war, I promise to be Civil about it.
I agree we probably won't have a war like North vs South. But if my State tries to become California?
Then it is ON.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
This coming election may be a tipping point. Another stolen election and tempers will flare followed by ??????

Old NFO said...

Tomorrow is going to be 'interesting'...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO
I'm surprised it is even happening.