Friday, June 3, 2022

Egg on My Face


My recent rant about emission tests on my 1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max wasn’t completely justified. While I’m still pissed about the whole “greenie” air quality scam, the test failure is on me.

I found a mechanic who is old enough to know how to work on “ancient” iron (not easy to find). It turns out there is a broken rocker arm and I’m lucky an intake valve didn’t get sucked into the piston and ruin the whole engine.

He will go ahead with the repairs and I will punish one of my credit cards.

It isn’t fun getting old. This repair is well within my ranch raised skill set but my 77 year old fingers aren’t up to the task.

On the bright side, finding the problem now is better than finding it on Rollins Pass 75 miles from civilization.

Picture is off the internet but the color is correct.

7 comments:

drjim said...

A busted rocker arm? Wow....haven't seen one of those in quite a while.

You didn't notice it running on only three cylinders?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Mitsubishi are weird. It runs on all four but there is some kind of advance that is also activated by a rocker arm. In addition, the valve cover gasket had a crack that affected the vacuum which in turn is used by the carb. I freely admit I don't understand all of it. What I do understand is the rebuilt cylinder head will be just South of $400. The truck isn't worth the repair, except to me. I will have the work done. Sisty plans to use the truck as my coffin at our family cemetery.

drjim said...

Swapping the head for a rebuilt one is a wise choice. The old head probably needs a valve job and seals anyway.

Should run much better!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

drjim
Now to find one.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Old NFO commented on "Egg on My Face"
17 mins ago
And maybe it will pass emissions... ;-)

Greybeard said...

IF... you bought another vehicle, what would the $$$$ be?
$400+labor seems like a bargain to me. But you're entering the same envelope I now find myself in with my '97 RAM-
Parts are beginning to be scarce. How long can we keep 'em rolling?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

GB
I like the truck and it serves my needs as a backup and recreational vehicle.